So I am not a big fan of the MLS draft as I posted earlier this week, but it is the American way to do things, so you have to deal with it. I unlike a lot of people will not spend hours and hours pouring over details of potential players, and do mock drafts, because I simply don't believe that the draft matters that much.
But isn't the draft how teams get players? Not really, if you look at the drafts from the last 4 years here are your #1 picks:
The first round of 2006 did see a number of players turn into stars in MLS, but let's take a look at all 12 first round picks and their impact in 2009:
- Marvell Wynne- New York- As I said above Marvell is a quality player and major part of TFC, but not for the team that picked him New York.
- Medhi Ballouchy- Real Salt Lake- Medhi was a regular starter for RSL until he was traded to Colorado for Kyle Beckerman. Medhi scored 2 goals and had 7 assists for Colorado in 2009 and was a big part of their team, but again not for the team that drafted him, at least not directly.
- Jason Garey- Columbus- a role player for the Crew, Jason is a RSL killer as 3 of his 4 goals in 2009 came against RSL.
- Yura Movsisyan- Kansas City- Yura scored 8 goals and had 2 assists for RSL in 2009 and was a big part of the Real Salt Lake run that resulted in winning the MLS Cup, but again his impact wasn't for the team that drafted him.
- Sacha Kljestan-Chivas- While Sacha has developed into a star for his club and a regular part of the USMNT, I would say he is the player from 2006 that has made the biggest impact for his team.
- Dax McCarty-FC Dallas- Dax had 3 goals and 6 assists for Dallas in 2009 and has also gotten some attention by the USMNT. He is a mainstay in the FCD starting 11.
- Justin Moose- DC United- He played a total of 999 minutes for DC United, and he last played for Vancouver in the USL
- Patrick Ianni- Houston- Patrick played 1,102 minutes in 2009 with a goal and two assists for Seattle, who picked him up in a trade as they filled out their roster before the start of the 2009 season.
- Kei Kamara- Columbus- He started the year with Houston and despite having 5 goals and an assist for the Dynamo in 2009 he was traded to Kansas City, where he added one more goal.
- Calen Carr- Chicago- 90 minutes in 2009, no starts, no goals, and no assists.
- Leanardro de Oliveira- New England- No idea, he wasn't a part of MLS in 2009
- Nathan Sturgis- LA Galaxy -Seattle took Nathan in the Expansion draft and he saw a total of 440 minutes of action for Seattle, with no goals and no assists in 2009.