So coming out of a source at Real Salt Lake, the deal includes RSL's 2nd round 2011 MLS Super Draft pick, a portion of any transfer fee if MLS should sell Gil's rights, it also includes sending an international slot to KC (which may be the slot we got from them in the Yura Movsisyan trade).
There is a tie between the Gil's and RSL, in 2005 and 2005 Brian Gil (Luis's older brother) was a developmental player for RSL and played a few matches with the RSL reserves.
So here are some interesting facts about Luis Gil compiled by RSL:
- Named U.S. Soccer's Young Male Athlete of the Year in 2009.
- Gil was the youngest player to win the Young Male Athlete of the Year Award since Freddy Adu in 2003.
- Linked to teams such as Arsenal and Real Madrid before signing MLS deal.
- Gil was the youngest member of the U.S. team to compete in the FIFA U-17 World Cup in Nigeria.
- Gil was also one of the best U.S. players during the tournament, registering one assist and playing the #10 role.
- Has 32 youth national team caps.
- Played in 18 youth national team games in 2009, scoring 4 goals with 4 assists.
- The Mexican Federation approached Gil about playing internationally for Mexico, but he turned them down to represent the U.S.
- Father is Mexican, but was born and raised in California.
- Played for well-known SoCal club team Pateadores.
Some Luis Gil links after the jump:
As I get more information on Luis I will post it here.
I did get an update on Sheanon Williams as well, he has signed a developmental deal with MLS (not with RSL), he is down training with the team, his first training in 6 months. It sounds like a "lottery" will be held for him later if MLS offers him a full contract.
OFF MY SOAPBOX