Well after a crushing last minute loss to RSL in MLS action last night, the Rapids reserves had a chance for revenge today out at Xango Field. I was unable to attend the match but I thought I would share with you the official match recap from the RSL press corp:
REAL SALT LAKE DEFEATS COLORADO 2-0 IN MLS RESERVE LEAGUE PLAY
Goals from FW Conor Chinn and MF Collen Warner Help RSL to First Win in Central Division Play
LEHI, Utah (Thursday, April 14, 2011) - Real Salt Lake used a goal from newcomer FW Conor Chinn and a last-minute tally from MF Collen Warner to record a 2-0 victory over the Colorado Rapids in the second 2011 MLS Reserve League match for both sides at a windy XanGo Field. RSL goalkeeper Kyle Reynish enjoyed an unusual double for the home side, chalking up an assist on RSL's insurance goal to go along with his first Reserve League shutout of the season.
Real Salt Lake started the scoring early in the 21st minute, when MF Nelson González won a 50-50 battle and dished quickly to FW Arturo Alvarez, who made a lengthy run before chipping the ball to the back post. RSL FW Conor Chinn raced into the area to slide in and nudge the ball past Rapids GK Steward Ceus to put the Utahans up 1-0.
more after the jump:
Colorado would gain an advantage midway through the second half after RSL defender Chris Shuler was ejected for a reckless tackle just outside the penalty area on Rapids FW Andre Akpan, whose shot on the ensuing free kick was sent just right of frame. Colorado's missed chances while playing a man up would come back to haunt them in the 88th minute, when Warner received a long clearance from Reynish and slotted the ball low and off the far left post to pad the RSL lead.
Both squads will have a few weeks off before resuming Central Division play, Colorado returning home to host the Chicago Fire at Dick's Sporting Goods Park on May 1 (10:00 a.m. MT) and Real Salt Lake hitting the road for the first time in 2011 to face off against Sporting Kansas City on May 3 (10:00 a.m. CT).
RSL News & Notes
- Real Salt Lake got a bit of bad news in the second half, as FW Paulo Jr. was forced from the contest just 10 minutes after entering due to a slight left hamstring strain. The Brazilian striker was removed for precautionary reasons and is not expected to miss considerable time for the Claret-and-Cobalt.
- The win for Reynish moved his all-time record in MLS Reserve League play to 9-3-1 when counting the previous incarnation of the division.
- Third-year central midfielder Jean Alexandre was given the honor of wearing the captain's armband for the Claret-and-Cobalt.
- Real Salt Lake went off the roster to bolster its line-up against Colorado, calling in RSL-Arizona Academy products DF Phaneul Kavita and M/F Nico Muniz and also suiting up trialist and ex-New England Revolution performer DF Seth Sinovic. Kavita and Sinovic started on the flanks at right and left fullback, respectively, while Muniz replaced Paulo Jr. to log the final 21 minutes of the contest.
- Kavita and Muniz are in the midst of a busy week, as the duo will rejoin their RSL-Arizona Academy U-18 mates in time for the program's first appearance in the 32nd annual Dallas Cup youth tournament. RSL-Arizona, which was selected to participate in the prestigious, 16-team Gordon Jago Super Group (U-18), has the distinction of playing the ceremonial "first game" in the main stadium at Pizza Hut Park this Sunday, April 17 (12:30 p.m. MT) against Mexican side Tigres. RSL-Arizona will also take on SC Corinthians Paulista of Brazil (Monday at 11:00 a.m. CT) and fellow MLS participant Vancouver Whitecaps FC (Wednesday at 9:00 a.m. MT) in Bracket C play, with the winner of the group moving onto next Friday's Semifinals and potentially the Grand Final next Sunday, April 24. For all the information on this year's edition of the Dallas Cup, visit http://www.dallascup.com/.
2011 MLS RESERVE LEAGUE - CENTRAL DIVISION
REAL SALT LAKE 2 : 0 COLORADO RAPIDS
THURSDAY, APRIL 14, 2011
XANGO FIELD - LEHI, UTAH
Goals by Period
Real Salt Lake (1-1-0, 0 3pts.) 1 1 2
Colorado Rapids (0-2-0, 0 pts.) 0 0 0
RSL - Conor Chinn 1 (Arturo Alvarez 1, Nelson Gonzalez 1) 21'
RSL - Collen Warner 1 (Kyle Reynish 1) 88'
RSL -Nelson Gonzalez (caution; Professional Tackle) 39'
RSL - Chris Schuler (ejection; Reckless Tackle) 71'
Real Salt Lake Reserves -- Kyle Reynish; Seth Sinovic#, Rauwshan McKenzie, Chris Schuler, Phanuel Kavita*; Nelson Gonzalez (Robbie Russell 76), Jean Alexandre, Collen Warner, Luis Gil; Conor Chinn (Donny Toia 45), Arturo Alvarez (Paulo Jr. 59) (Nico Muniz* 69)
Substitutes Not Used: Tim Melia (GK)
Colorado Rapids Reserves - Steward Ceus; Danny Earls, Scott Palguta, Michael Holody, Eddie Ababio; Sanna Nyassi (Josh Janniere 45); Joseph Nane, Davy Armstrong (James Rogers* 74), Steven Emory (Ricardo Perez* 82), Ross LaBauex; Andre Akpan
Substitutes Not Used: None
* = Denotes RSL-Arizona Academy or Colorado Rapid Academy players
#= Denotes RSL trial players
Referee: Tyler Ploeger
Weather: Mostly sunny and windy, 42 degrees
There you go all the info about todays RSL reserve match
OFF MY SOAPBOX