This weekend Real Salt Lake will be on the road, but Rio Tinto will be rocking as the first ever College Premier Division Championship game will be held Saturday night at 7:05pm. The game will feature the Cal Golden Bears and the BYU Cougars (I know that makes Ute fans cringe- footnote the Ute's lost to Cal in their Semifinal match), and will be broadcast live on ESPN3.com and tape delayed on ESPNU. That isn't the only action that will be taking place this weekend as Saturday will also see Finals of The Emirates Airline USA Rugby 2011 Boy's High School Championship, the Boy's Under 19 Championship, and the Girl's Under 19 Championship.
Now I can't claim to be an expert on Rugby, heck I just recently started watching the sport, but I have to say that it is pretty entertaining. Enough so that I am applying for credentials to cover these events, and even if I don't get approved I will probably venture out to Rio Tinto to check out the action. There are two type of Rugby, Traditional and 7's, this weekend will feature the Traditional version which features 15 players on a side. If you want to know more about Rugby (it isn't that complicated) you can check out usarugby.org.
You can check the complete schedule, ticket info after the jump:
Here is the schedule of events:
USA Rugby College Premier Division Championship
Saturday, May 21 - Cal vs. BYU - Rio Tinto Stadium - 7:00 p.m.
USA Rugby Boy's High School Championships
- Friday, May 20 - Round 1 matches at Murray Field - 11:00 a.m. / 12:00 p.m.
- Friday, May 20 - Round 2 matches at Murray Field - 3:30 p.m. / 4:30 p.m.
- Saturday, May 21 - 5th & 7th place matches at Murray Field - 12:45 p.m.
- Saturday, May 21 - 3rd place match at Rio Tinto Stadium - 1:00 p.m.
- Saturday, May 21 - Championship match at Rio Tinto Stadium - 2:30 p.m.
USA Rugby Boy's U19 Championships
- Friday, May 20 - Round 1 matches at Murray Field - 9:00 a.m. / 10:00 a.m.
- Friday, May 20 - Round 2 matches at Murray Field - 1:30 p.m. / 2:30 p.m.
- Saturday, May 21 - 5th & 7th place matches at Murray Field - 11:00 a.m.
- Saturday, May 21 - 3rd place match at Rio Tinto Stadium - 11:30 a.m.
- Saturday, May 21 - Championship match at Rio Tinto Stadium - 4:30 p.m.
USA Rugby Girl's U19 Championships
- Saturday, May 21 - Round 1 matches at Murray Field - 9:00 a.m. / 10:00 a.m.
- Saturday, May 21 - Round 2 matches at Murray Field - 2:30 p.m. / 3:30 p.m.
- Sunday, May 22 - 7th / 5th / 3rd place matches at Rio Tinto Stadium - 9:00 a.m. / 10:30 a.m. / 12:00 p.m.
- Sunday, May 22 - Championship match at Rio Tinto Stadium - 2:00 p.m.
Tickets for the USA Rugby National Championships all-day event on Saturday, May 21 at Rio Tinto Stadium can now be purchased online via www.RioTintoStadium.com and are available in three price ranges in advance - $12 for Reserved seating sections, $17 for West Sideline seats and $22 for Club sections. On the day of the event, tickets will be available for purchase at the Rio Tinto Stadium Box Office for $15 (North/East sections), $22 (West Sideline) and $27 (Club Sections). Parking will be available on-site at Rio Tinto Stadium for $5. Tickets will not be required for entry to Rio Tinto Stadium for the Girl's U19 matches on Sunday.
I am hoping that I will be covering this from the sidelines and pressbox, but if not you will likely find me in the stands having some fun and checking out some Rugby. The weather forecast if for the high sixties and partly cloudy skies, which should be just perfect. Tomorrow I am going to post some of the basics of rugby to get you ready for this weekend.
OFF MY SOAPBOX