So last night about half of the RSL roster headed to Chicago for this afternoon's reserve league match, I am still a bit confused how a new schedule designed to save travel and money has teams sending 1/2 of their players out of town for a couple days a week for reserve matches that have no alignment to the regular season travel or matches. Anyhow, here is the official recap from the RSL communications team:
MLS RESERVE LEAGUE: CHICAGO FIRE DEFEAT REAL SALT LAKE 1-0
Corben Bone's Ninth Minute Volley Gives Fire Victory over Visitors from Utah
SANDY, Utah (Tuesday, March 27, 2012) - The Chicago Fire Reserves (1-0-0, 3 pts.) used MF Corben Bone's ninth minute volley to earn a 1-0 victory over Real Salt Lake Reserves (0-2-1, 1 pt.) in MLS Reserve League action Tuesday morning at the Toyota Park Practice Field.
The Fire got the lone goal early when Bone pounced on a loose ball at the top of the box and slotted his first-time volley past RSL ‘keeper Kyle Reynish.
Real Salt Lake continued to threaten the Fire goal with consecutive shots from MF Will Johnson in the 29th and 32nd minutes, only to be deterred by nice defensive efforts by the Fire.
The Chicagoland-native Johnson again tested the Fire in the 50th minute with a long distance effort that was well saved by Fire netminder Jay Nolly.
The Fire nearly doubled their lead three minutes later when they were awarded a free kick from 40 yards out. MF Daniel Paladini's ensuing free kick found the head of MF Rafael Robayo, who put his effort just wide of Reynish's goal.
Fire SuperDraft selection FW Lucky Mkosana had a chance to put the game away in the 89th minute, breaking through the RSL defense and into the box uncontested before Reynish sprawled out to keep the score 1-0.
more info after the jump:
RSL Reserves Match Notes
- Today's game marked the third in as many Tuesdays for Real Salt Lake to start off its 2012 MLS Reserve League campaign, the squad going 0-2-1 in the opening stretch after an opening 1-3 defeat at FC Dallas on March 13 and drawing 1-1 with Sporting KC a week ago in Sandy.
- The RSL Reserves' next contest will come on Sunday, April 8, when the Claret-and-Cobalt will host the Colorado Rapids Reserves at America First Field (11:00 a.m. MT kickoff) the day after the Rocky Mountain Cup rivals' first-team clash up the street at Rio Tinto Stadium. Following the April 17 home contest against FC Dallas, the RSL Reserves will have a nearly two-month hiatus between contests, the second half of the team's 10-game schedule starting on June 12 vs. Chicago.
- The 73-minute appearance for Will Johnson continued to mark the midfielder's progress from an adductor surgery at the beginning of the month. With today's lengthy run out, the Canadian international would appear to be in consideration to make his first 18-man gameday roster of the 2012 season this weekend when RSL's first team travels to Portland to take on the Timbers Saturday night at JELD-WEN Field (8:00 p.m. MT kickoff, live on ABC4).
- A pair of trialists saw action today for the RSL Reserves, with DF Chris Estridge getting his second extended look in the last week by logging the full 90 minutes at right back, while Brazilian striker Jose Carlos Nunez started and played 57 minutes.
- Today's RSL Reserves side featured three RSL-Arizona Academy players on the line-up sheet: DF Carlos Salcedo (full 90 minutes), FW Eti Tavares (33 minutes off the bench) and MF Ricardo Velasco (DNP).
MLS Reserve League Box Score
Chicago Fire 1 : 0 Real Salt Lake
Tuesday, March 27, 2012
Toyota Park Practice Field - Bridgeview, Ill.
CHI - Corben Bone (unassisted) 9
CHI - Daniel Paladini (caution) 70
Chicago Fire Reserves - Jay Nolly; Tony Walls, Kwame Watson-Siriboe, Austin Berry, Hunter Jumper; Rafael Robayo (Victor Pineda 62), Daniel Paladini, Michael Videira; Corben Bone; Orr Barouch (Lucky Mkosana* 77), Federico Puppo (Kheli Dube 59)
Substitutes not used: Paolo Tornaghi, Keaton Albert**, Luis Baraja**, Kellen Gulley
Real Salt Lake - Kyle Reynish; Chris Estridge*, Carlos Salcedo**, Leone Cruz, Terukazu, Tanaka (Nico Muñiz 73); Yordany Alvarez, Will Johnson (Diogo de Almeida 73), Jonny Steele, Enzo Martinez; Emiliano Bonfigli, Jose Carlos Nunez* (Eti Tavares** 57)
Substitutes not used: Lalo Fernandez, **Ricardo Velasco
** Academy player
Referee: Michael Kennedy
Assistant Referees: Khalaf Al-Latayfeh, Nikola Aleksic
Fourth Official: Cesar Ibarra
So there you go all the information available from the latest RSL reserve league action, the next time the RSL reserves league team will be in action is Sunday, April 8th as they will play host to the reserve league team of the Colorado Rapids. I will have more details on that one as it gets closer.
OFF MY SOAPBOX