clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Reds mar RSL, Phoenix FC matchup in surprisingly exciting 0-0 draw

Real Salt Lake and Phoenix FC ended the first of their pair of matches 0-0, but the match was perhaps more notable for three red cards in first-half stoppage time.

What started as a slightly chippy first half ended in a flurry of reds as a brawl broke out at the edge of Phoenix FC's box after a free kick. What exactly transpired was difficult to see, but after a slight delay following a wasteful shot from Abdoulie Mansally, a 22-man brawl broke out.

Phoenix FC goalkeeper Andrew Weber and defender Renan Boufleur were sent off, as was Real Salt Lake's Kwame Watson-Siriboe.

Enzo Martinez came off in the 40th minute after suffering what seemed to have been a knee injury. Aaron Maund entered and dropped to center back, with Carlos Salcedo stepping into the defensive midfield spot.

Joao Plata and Robbie Findley had a solid first half together, with the two trading opportunities with some frequency

David Viana entered in the second half for Plata, with the attacking midfielder working his way back from injury concerns; Viana's first touch was a shot taken after a free kick.

Carlos Salcedo nearly scored a beautiful goal in the 67th minute with a curling shot from just outside the box, but the shot dipped a moment too late and skimmed the top of the crossbar.

Rich Balchan entered for Mansally in the second half, who had a fine first half but had considerable struggles in the second.

Devon Sandoval entered the match at the half, coming on for Robbie Findley. Findley enjoyed a number of opportunities to burst past the defense and, as above, worked well with Plata, putting some

Stephenson had his first on-target shot of the night, forcing a save from Parkinson, in for the ejected Weber.

The match ended with Real Salt Lake pushing everyone - barring Attinella - forward in a final effort to score. After five minutes of stoppage, the match ended 0-0 despite a flurry of late action from Real Salt Lake.