clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Neither side managed to claim the title King of the Jungle as RSL and Orlando tie

Joe Camporeale-USA TODAY Sports

Real Salt Lake came out of the gates looking dominate.  For the first three minutes of play the Claret-and-Cobalt calmly controlled the ball with the only highlight coming from the benches.  Nearly the entire 180 seconds to start the match, Orlando City's head coach Adrian Heath yelled, bantered and voiced his displeasure with his side.

RSL then had the chance to take the early lead in the fourth minute.  Real found themselves in the opponent's box with the ball.  Pinging around the box, Olmes Garcia finally controlled the ball and had two good chances to convert.  The first coming off a back heel which was blocked and then Garcia took a shot only to have it parried away by  Orlando's Tally Hall.

RSL was punished only seconds later when Ribeiro cut RSL's defense with a cheeky pass.  The target was the one and only Kaka in the 18 yard box who slipped the ball easily passed the well positioned Jeff Attinella.

Orlando nearly made it 2-0 in the ninth minute when defender Seb Hines headed a corner kick into the cross bar after Attinella got his finger tips to the ball.

RSL continued to create chances unsuccessful until workhorse Tony Beltran got the ball just outside his opponent's box and curled in a cross that led to Sebastian Jaime's fourth goal in his fourth consecutive home match.

The previous FIFA Player of the Year was in the spotlight once again but at the opposite end of fortune this time. For what seems like the first time ever, Kaka was handed a straight red after plowing Javier Morales over just outside the box.  While the foul itself warranted a yellow, it was the chirping after the play at the referee that saw the Brazilian take the long walk to the locker room.

RSL's second best chance came in the 59th minute when Garcia made a cutting run into the box with the ball and then crossed the ball to the top of the 18 yard box.  Luke Mulholland and Joao Plata were unmarked but both of them appeared to think that the other one was going to take a volley and let a perfect chance go by the wayside.

Orlando's defenders created another scare for the Claret-and-Cobalt in the 63rd minute when John St. Ledger got his head on a headed pass and nearly tucked it just underneath the crossbar.  Attinella, however, came up big once again and pushed the ball over the top of his goal.

From there on the match became much more chippy with referee Stoica calling the match ever so tighter.  Still, RSL made their intentions known when Jeff Cassar substituted midfielder Sebastian Saucedo for Tony Beltran in the dying embers of the match.

With two lines of four, Real pushed and pushed for the winning goal as they continued to create chances but 10-man Orlando bunkered down and managed to escape the confines of Rio Tinto with a point.