clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Real Salt Lake, New England fight to tense 3-3 draw

Joe Camporeale-USA TODAY Sports

In their last big test before heading to face Tigres in CONCACAF Champions League action, Real Salt Lake and New England Revolution battled to a tense 3-3 draw.

Real Salt Lake conceded in the 13th minute, giving up a goal to New England's Michael Gamble. Of course, if you were watching the official stream, there was no way you would have known that — it jumped from the sixth minute to the 16th minute, and during the interim, the goal was scored.

New England scored a second goal only minutes into the second half, with Aaron Maund being sent off for a handball preventing a clear goalscoring opportunity. But the bigger problem came before that, with New England's Charlie Davies bursting past the defense and dribbling around an atypically indecisive Nick Rimando.

Maund stopped the shot with a dive, and although it's not clear, it does appear that in his effort to make himself a bigger target, the ball hit his arm, prompting a red card. Davies dispatched the ensuing penalty into the nigh-unsaveable part of the goal: the upper corner.

In the 53rd minute, Darius Barnes fouled Joao Plata in the New England box, with the diminutive striker dribbling his way into a dangerous area. Javier Morales scored the penalty with a signature stutter step, beating Brad Knighton, who dove slightly too early.

Then, in the 68th minute, Jamison Olave scored a headed goal, breaking free on a Javier Morales free kick near the middle of the box. That equalizer was significant, as both RSL goals were scored after the team went down to 10 men.

Fewer than 10 minutes later, Olmes Garcia — who had been down with a knock only minutes before, scored from near the edge of the box with a soft, finessed shot to put Real Salt Lake up 3-2. He was assisted by Justen Glad, who knocked the ball on from a Javier Morales free kick taken from nearly the same position as the last free kick.

In the 83rd minute, New England's Landon Woodberry was sent off for a second yellow card. Then, in the first play after they went down to 10 men, Charlie Davies scored an equalizing goal, knotting the match at 3-3.

In the waning minutes of the match, Martinez had an opportunity to put RSL ahead again, but his header — again, from a Javier Morales free kick — zipped just over the bar.

Jamison Olave created a strong opportunity from a corner, with his snap-down header falling to Yura Movsisyan, whose timing was just off. Yura Movsisyan had an early chance for Real Salt Lake, sending a shot very high after cutting in from the left flank in the 4th minute. He scuffed on another shot in the 21st minute, with some crafty playing landing the ball at his feet from a corner.

Javier Morales received a yellow card midway through the first half, apparently for committing several fouls — again, the stream didn't really help out here.