Who is Real Salt Lake general manager Craig Waibel looking to sign? He told Salt Lake Tribune reporter Chris Kamrani that he was in discussions with two European defenders.
Read: RSL GM says club targeting two Euro-based center backs, SL Tribune
One is a 29-year-old playing in Belgium, and the other is a 26-year-old playing in the Netherlands.
29, Belgium | Explore
- Gary Coulibaly, Waasl.-Bevern | Contract expires at the end of June, apparently, but he's been playing consistently for his club — missing only two matches this season.
- Rúben Fernandes, Sint-Truiden | Under contract until 2017, regularly playing for his club. He's been on the bench for the team's last two matches.
- Jonas Bogaerts, Royal Antwerp | Captain of his side, and his contract expires in 2016 — but he's reportedly agreed a verbal contract extension.
26, Netherlands | Explore
- Darryl Lachman, SC Cambuur-Leeuwarden | Under contract until 2016, but on loan from Sheffield Wednesday (second half of season). He's not in favor in England. Also, interestingly, he plays for Curacao national team
- Freek Heerkens, Willem II | Contract expires in 2017, but only playing intermittently after suffering a metatarsal fracture early in his season
- Calvin Mac Intosh, SC Cambuur | Contract expires in 2016, suffered a knee injury in November that kept him out until late February
- Josimar Lima, FC Dordrecht | Contract expires in 2016, recently returned to his team from injury — and a week ago posted a selfie on Instagram with the caption "New week, new opportunities."
- Tim Hofstede, FC Den Bosch, contract expires in 2016, consistently plays 90 minutes for his team
- Kevin van Diermen, NAC Breda | expires in 2016 ... he's on loan now, but it looks like he's done at his parent club (Excelsior) — as a result, NAC Breda has offered him a two-year deal.
Alternately, if somebody switched the numbers when telling Kamrani about the potential signings, we can look at one more center back who could be an intriguing option.
- Gianni Zuiverloon, ADO Den Haag | Contract expires in 2016, and Williams just went to watch his club against FC Twente. He was on the bench for that match, which doesn't rule anything out. He hasn't played for ADO Den Haag consistently for over a month after a calf injury, but he's remained largely free of injury in the 2015-2016 season.