In an unfortunate twist of fate, Nick Rimando is out for Real Salt Lake tonight against Sporting Kansas City — joining the long list of absences for RSL that forced them to use two extreme hardship call-ups.
While we're not sure at this point exactly what has kept Rimando out, we do know that he experienced a minor foot injury at home that kept him out of training for a day. That's the latest, at least, from a Salt Lake Tribune report over a week old.
Unsurprisingly, Jeff Attinella has taken his place in the lineup, with Lalo Fernandez on the bench. Attinella has pulled out some spectacular performances in the past when stepping in for Rimando.
Rimando is joined in absence by nearly half the Real Salt Lake squad:
- Jamison Olave (red card suspension)
- Kyle Beckerman (red card suspension)
- Burrito Martinez (disciplinary committee action)
- Javier Morales (broken rib)
- Boyd Okwuonu (concussion)
- Phanuel Kavita (MCL)
- Omar Holness (seizure)
- Emery Welshman (hip flexor)
- Fito Ovalle (personal reasons)
Attinella, Beltran, Glad, Maund, Wingert; Stertzer, Sunny, Mulholland; Allen, Movsisyan, Plata
Bench: Fernandez, Acosta, Orozco, Phillips, Brody, Sandoval, Garcia