clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

RSL redeem themselves and win 2-1 in Philly.

MLS: Real Salt Lake at Philadelphia Union Bill Streicher-USA TODAY Sports

RSL jumped out of the gate with determination and fury ready to be the aggressor away from home. Around the 15th minute Olmes Garcia had a nice cut and then a through ball to find Joao Plata. Plata got his toe on the perfectly weighted ball , but it ended up hitting the post and Philadelphia got it out of the dangerous area. Not long after, both sides got in a shoving match after Plata suffered an unnecessary plowing after the ref blew the whistle. The first half never found much of a rhythm with both teams refusing to give much space, but RSL did squander a chance or two. In the 42nd, Philadelphia found C.J. Sapong in the box and Aaron Maund manhandled him including a jersey grab that forced the ref to make a decision. The decision he made was to the point to the spot and Roland Alberg put the Union up 1-0 in the 44th. The half would end with some frustration and anger for the visiting team.

RSL did not hang their heads and it didn’t take long for RSL to even the match with Joao Plata scoring a screamer in the top corner after Demar Phillips laid it off for him and got out of the way. In the 54th, Olmes Garcia did plenty to work the ball into the box, take it back out bringing three defenders with him and then finding Javier Morales at the top of the box who took a touch and noticed Andre Blake out of position. Javi didn’t think twice and chipped him to put RSL up 2-1. In the 65th minute Olmes Garcia was able to head the ball to Plata who had a decent look sending it towards the top right corner but it went just high and wide. Philadelphia began to throw numbers forward with urgency and there were a handful of scary moments. Jeff Cassar inserted a couple of defensive-minded substitutions replacing a few fatigued players in Kyle Beckerma, Burrito Martinez, and Javier Morales. Joao Plata somehow was able to do two ength-of-the-field sprints as the game was closing in to give RSL a break. RSL was able to kill the game by playing “the game within the game” and got the full three points on the road winning 2-1 in a comeback.