With the preseason really just around the corner, Real Salt Lake's roster is starting to come together. Let’s take a look at depth around the team — that could give us a sense of whether there’s something missing or if RSL’s actually prepared for the coming season.
Depth in the 4-2-3-1
- Goalkeeper: Nick Rimando / Matt van Oekel / Lalo Fernandez*
- Right back: Tony Beltran / Reagan Dunk†*
- Center back (2): Justen Glad* / Aaron Maund / Chris Schuler / David Horst† / Justin Schmidt†
- Left back: Demar Phillips / Chris Wingert
- Midfield (2): Kyle Beckerman / Sunny / Luke Mulholland / Omar Holness*‡ / Jose Hernandez*
- Wide midfielders (2): Joao Plata / Jordan Allen* / Landon Donovan† / Ricardo Velazco*
- Attacking midfield: Albert Rusnak / Luis Silva†‡ / Sebastian Saucedo*
- Striker: Yura Movsisyan / Chad Barrett† / Brooks Lennon†*
- Danilo Acosta* — defensive depth; likely to play at full back for coming season
A * indicates the player is either on the supplemental or reserve rosters (so, spots 21-30) or is anticipated to be. A † indicates the player hasn’t yet signed a contract. ‡ indicates the player can play multiple positions. Italicized names indicate there’s some uncertainty around the player’s signing.
- Justin Schmidt and Reagan Dunk might not both make the final roster — there’s uncertainty there. But we’ll see how this one shakes out, and expect Real Monarchs to play a role.
- With the way this is shaping up, there are backups at every position — at least one, sometimes two. There are young players available at every position that can grow, and that bodes extremely well for the future of the team.
- Adding Landon Donovan and Luis Silva are both moves that would add important depth, so if one or two of those don’t work, then look for RSL to pursue other players. Craig Waibel has indicated as much.