Real Salt Lake takes on a much-changed Chicago Fire — a team that RSL’s management has noted for a very good offseason. But a good offseason doesn’t always translate to a strong start, which might give RSL fans some hope.
Any hope is going to be tempered by worry, because the team has been struck by significant injuries in the defense, leaving rookie Justin Schmidt and sorta-newcomer David Horst as the only natural center back options.
How to watch
- Where: Toyota Park; Bridgeview, Illinois
- When: 12 p.m. Mountain
- Local TV: KMYU (2.2 over-the-air; 12 satellite; 643 Comcast HD)
- Live stream: MLS Live
- Radio, English: ESPN 700 AM
- Radio, Spanish: 102.3 La Gran D FM / 1600 AM
- Aaron Maund is at something like 80-percent fitness, said Jeff Cassar — so don’t expect him from the outset.
- Justen Glad is out with knee ligament issues.
- Chris Schuler is out as a precaution with foot soreness.
- Joao Plata has been listed as questionable by the club, so don’t expect him to start, either.
- Kyle Beckerman and Demar Phillips were both listed as probable, so definitely expect at least the captain to start.
Rimando; Beltran, Schmidt, Horst, Phillips; Beckerman, Sunny; Allen, Rusnak, Velazco; Movsisyan
Bench: Van Oekel, Acosta, Wingert, Holness, Mulholland, Silva, Barrett
- RSL vs. Chicago Fire: Three Questions with Hot Time in Old Town
- RSL vs. Chicago Fire: Three lineup decisions RSL has to make
- RSL vs. Chicago Fire: What we’re watching
- Real Salt Lake vs. Chicago Fire: Scouting Report
- Injury report: Plata listed as questionable, joining Maund, Glad, Schuler
- Cassar: Glad, Schuler out for Chicago — so who starts?
- Waibel on Rusnak: 6-to-8 weeks until attacker completely finds his feet
- RSL vs. Chicago Fire preview: Two teams vying for first win
- RSL at Chicago tactical preview: Two faces of the same coin