Welcome to another year of Power Ranking Averages! Most people either like them, hate them or are indifferent; but just about everyone can agree that it's great fodder for debate, which is the point of it after all.
I started this project back in 2012 after getting frustrated by the wide range of ranks among the various sites, as such I figured the best way to get a more accurate Power Ranking would be to just average all of the sites I could find. Most sites tend to come and go, usually lasting about half of the season; it may start with 15+ and end with 7-8, but as long as sites continue to publish their rankings I shall endeavor to average them.
Here's a reminder of one of the best Power Ranking "Guidelines" I’ve read:
"If two teams played tomorrow, given their current injury concerns, form, and other considerations, who is likely to win on a neutral field? All things being equal, who is the best team going forward, based on what we know now?"
-Richard Farley, NBC Sports ProSoccerTalk. 3/11/14
As we are still in Preseason, quite a few sites have done rankings, hopefully all will continue!
- Sports Illustrated (si.com/planet-futbol)
- ESPN (espnfc.us/major-league-soccer/19/index)
- MLS Soccer (mlssoccer.com/series/power-rankings)
- MLS Multiplex (mlsmultiplex.com)
- The Score (thescore.com/mls/news)
- In on it (inontit.com/mls-playoffs-odds/power-rankings)
- Goal.com (goal.com/en-us)
- Football Premium (footballpremium.com/usa/major-league-soccer)
- Score Bench (scorebench.com/category/soccer)
- Soccer By Ives (Sbisoccer.com)
More will be added after Week 1, if you know of any I haven’t included please drop me a note in the comments, or by email (link via my byline above).
2017 Season Power Ranking Averages
Dallas has the lead after pre-season; can it hold after week 1?
Site evaluations, and Season Averages will begin with the Week 1 article.