If you’re new to Real Salt Lake, you probably have some questions about the team, and you might really like a chance to get involved in the community with some basic knowledge under your belt.
That’s what we’ve done here. Over the last month, we wrote and wrote about the club, from our history to the current set of rules. There’s a lot here to get through — and you certainly don’t need to read any of it to be a fan. But if you’d like a chance to get to know the team, here — have at it.
Must-follow social media accounts
- The official team account on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.
- RSL Soapbox on Twitter and Facebook, because you’re already here, so why not?
- Chris Kamrani on Twitter — he’s the Salt Lake Tribune beat reporter and he’s on top of the news in a big way
- Andy Williams on Twitter — RSL’s head scout is constantly dropping little hints about signings, and that’s just so much fun.
- Brian Dunseth on Twitter — He’s keyed into everything in American soccer, he knows Real Salt Lake inside and out, and he scored a legendary goal for the club. What’s not to love? Oh, and he’s extremely responsive with fans and a very bright student of the game.
I want to learn more about the club’s history
- This Is the Place: Dave Checketts’ indelible mark on Utah soccer — Get to know the man who started it all.
- How Real Salt Lake went from Dave Checketts to Dell Loy Hansen — One of the most impactful moves in Real Salt Lake history didn’t even happen on the field. It happened in the board room.
- Real Salt Lake’s fairy tale run to the 2009 MLS Cup — This is the moment that defined RSL as an organization. It continues to, and it should.
- Real Salt Lake, CONCACAF Champions League in 2010, and group stage glory — When we made our biggest moment of them all, it didn’t just come from nothing. It came through uncertainty and weakness.
- RSL History: Club faced tampering charge in 2007 after Cassar hire — One of the stranger things to happen in RSL’s history, really.
- The Javier Morales Saga: What happened with RSL’s maestro — We’re all still smarting about this one.
Tell me about the best (and worst?) things about RSL.
- Harnessing Youth: Five players RSL developed into MLS veterans — People love to talk about how RSL and the draft just don’t work out. This shows us something that might be different.
- RSL History: 10 best Nat Borchers goals — The bearded one retired this offseason. We remembered him.
- RSL History: Top five players, all-time — We’ve had some good ones. Here are some of the best.
- The five biggest flops: Signings in RSL history that didn’t quite work out
- RSL History: The five biggest matches (so far)
- Real Salt Lake’s top 10 all-time goal scorers
- RSL’s top assisters: A top-ten baker’s-dozen of creation
I want to learn more about the rules
There’s a lot to know!
- MLS Discovery rules, explained — did you know that a team has to put in a “discovery” claim on a player before they can be signed?
- Navigating MLS’s Supplemental, Reserve roster rules — these are players that don’t hit the cap in the same way the senior roster.
- MLS Explained: Targeted Allocation Money — Everything you need to know about the latest MLS buzzword
- Things change, too — here’s what we know about the latest MLS roster rules.
- Highlights from the MLS, Players Union CBA — A great way to learn more about why the rules in place exist, and why they can’t easily change right now.
Alright. What’s this Real Monarchs stuff?
- Get to know Real Monarchs with our piece on just why they’re necessary: Why Real Salt Lake needs Real Monarchs
- And you won’t be complete if you don’t understand the history of the team. Bridging The Gap: The History of Real Monarchs SLC
- In a short time, the team’s already developed some fine professionals. Developing Royalty: The top five all-time Real Monarchs players