The NWSL has entered the FIFA international break, which means no NWSL game for the Utah Royals this weekend, sadly.
Because the Royals are stacked with international talent, seven players will be with their respective national teams for the next week.
- USWNT co-Captain Becky Sauerbrunn returns to USWNT duty for the friendlies against Mexico. Kelley O’Hara was also to participate in the April friendlies, but she was ruled out due to a hamstring injury. The USWNT plays Mexico on Thursday evening, April 5 in Jacksonville, Florida at 5 PM MT and on Sunday, April 8 in Houston, Texas at 11:30 AM MT.
- Canadian internationals Desiree Scott & Diana Matheson travel to France in preparation for their matchup against fifth-ranked France on April 9.
- Gunny Jónsdóttir returns to Europe to guide Iceland for UEFA Women’s World Cup Qualifiers. Iceland takes on Slovenia on April 6 and plays April 10 against the Faroe Islands.
- Elise Thorsnes will also represent Norway in UEFA Women’s World Cup Qualifying against Northern Ireland on April 10.
- Rachel Corsie will captain the Scotland WNT squad through UEFA Women’s World Cup Qualifying against Switzerland on April 5 and Poland on April 10.
- Katrina Gorry continues her Australian role in AFC Women’s World Cup Qualifying for the next three weeks.
Following the FIFA break, the national team players return to Utah in time for the club’s inaugural 2018 home opener at Rio Tinto Stadium on Saturday, April 14 at 1:30 p.m. MT against the Chicago Red Stars. It’s an NWSL Game of the Week on Lifetime, so you should really be there.