NWSL starting up again this week kind of took me by surprise; but thanks to many of my fellow-staff here at RSL Soapbox, reminders were sent out daily after Wednesday. Not a lot of movement on this week’s table since there weren’t any major upsets. The only changes are at the bottom of the table.
A reminder for readers who only follow the Power Rankings, there is also a prediction game called the Soapbox Oracle; and there is a World Cup prediction version found HERE. The survey has been updated for round 3, and will be updated mid-week as the knockout round match-ups are decided.
So without further mindless banter, here’s the power rankings for week 8. (#) indicates last week’s ranking.
- Portland Thorns (1) - A tie on the road in North Carolina keeps them on top.
- Washington Spirit (2) - A 1-1 draw in Seattle means they remain in 2nd.
- Utah Royals (3) - Picked up another win at home vs Sky Blue. They may have moved up on the point standings, but not in power rankings.
- North Carolina Courage (4) - Tied at home 1-1. Fortunately no one lower did better.
- Chicago Red Stars (5) - Bye week.
- Houston Dash (6) - 2-2 draw at home. Normally that would mean a drop, but the Dash are fortunate that the Reign tied as well.
- Seattle Reign (7) - Could have moved above the Dash with a win, but tied at home so they stay put.
- Orlando Pride (9) - Tied on the road in Houston moves them off the bottom.
- Sky Blue FC (8) - Lost in the Rockies.