All teams moved positions in this week’s table. Lacking international players has hit many teams hard, but the two week World Cup break is finally here. For readers who only follow the Power Rankings, I also do a prediction game called the Oracle; there is a World Cup prediction game found HERE. All group stages are able to be picked now, and standings will be updated after each round here on the Soapbox.
So without further mindless banter, here’s the power rankings for week 8. (#) indicates last week’s ranking.
- Portland Thorns (2) - A 3-0 win for their first home game coupled with last week’s #1 losing returns the Thorns to the top.
- Washington Spirit (3) - 2-0 victory at home against a weakened Utah side.
- Utah Royals (1) - Visited the other league points leaders in D.C., and fell 2-0.
- North Carolina Courage (5) - Won 3-0 on the road. Normally that would be a big rise, but it was against Orlando.
- Chicago Red Stars (4) - Had to be the unfortunate team to play in Portland for the Thorns first home game.
- Houston Dash (7) - Tied on the road vs the Reign.
- Seattle Reign (6) - A 1-1 stalemate vs the Dash at home ruins their winning streak.
- Sky Blue FC (9) - Bye Week
- Orlando Pride (8) - Another home blowout loss by 3 goals.