Can we just agree that US Soccer’s cash-grab of a “victory tour” for the USWNT really hurts many of the NWSL teams? Yes, they do deserve a great sendoff, but the least US Soccer could do is make sure the games don’t interfere with NWSL games, the sad thing is that they don’t care since they don’t really have a vested interest in the league. So it should come to no one’s surprise that the Royals went to Chicago without three of their best players, and lost. Another uncharacteristic result was the Portland Thorns; also without USWNT players, who only managed a tie at home vs Sky Blue.
So without further mindless banter, here’s the power rankings for this week. (#) indicates last week’s ranking.
- North Carolina Courage (1) - Beat the Spirit at home, but only scored one goal. Could have been better if Nationals were present.
- Chicago Red Stars (3) - Still managed to win at home while missing 4 players to the Royals missing 3.
- Portland Thorns (2) - Could only manage a draw at home while 4 players were with the nationals.
- Reign FC (5) - Won on the road vs the Dash. Doing it without USWNT players is even better.
- Washington Spirit (4) - No shame in losing on the road to the top team. Move down due to Reign moving up.
- Utah Royals (6) - Lost in Chicago, but no one lower did enough to bump them.
- Orlando Pride (8) - Bye Week
- Sky Blue FC (9) - Picked up a point in Portland, that gets them off the bottom!
- Houston Dash (7) - Home loss, even though it was only by one goal drops them to the bottom.