There were 5 games during week 22; a handful of shocking results produce some movement.
So without further mindless banter, here’s the power rankings for this week. (#) indicates last week’s ranking.
- North Carolina Courage (1) - Beat the Dash midweek, then overwhelmed the Royals, and locked up the league title for the 3rd year.
- Chicago Red Stars (2) - Beat the Spirit at home. Only one game remaining to try and lock up 2nd place.
- Portland Thorns (5) - Edged the Dash at home. Make a big jump up due to two teams ahead losing. Playoffs are ensured, but 2nd or 3rd place is TBD.
- Reign FC (4) - Dropped a home game to an improved Sky Blue. Would have dropped, but the Royals did worse.
- Utah Royals (3) - Had a complete collapse in a must-win game vs the Courage. Getting points from each of the last 3 games is critical to keep the final playoff spot.
- Washington Spirit (7) - Away loss vs the Red Stars is probably expected this year.
- Houston Dash (6) - Dropped two away games by the same scoreline.
- Sky Blue FC (9) - Won their 5th match of the year, and 2nd on the road! Count Sky Blue as the most improved team from 2018!
- Orlando Pride (8) - Bye week. Drop one due to Sky Blue’s win.