short break for international games, the NWSL resumed play with four games. Only 4 teams move this week.
So without further mindless banter, here’s the power rankings for this week. (#) indicates last week’s ranking.
- North Carolina Courage (3) - Won on the road vs Sky Blue. Would have only been 2nd if Royals hadn’t won at home.
- Utah Royals (2) - A wonder-header by Becky Sauerbrunn gave the Royals a win over the league leaders. Defense withstood a barrage, but kept the clean sheet. Stay in 2nd only due to the Courage road win.
- Portland Thorns (1) - Fell to the Royals in Utah after a difficult battle where they took 21 shots. Fall 2 only due to Courage winning on the road, and #2 is the team they lost to.
- Chicago Red Stars (4) - Very convincing win over the Dash at home, but can’t justify moving them above the top 3 yet.
- Reign FC (5) - Beat the last place team at home. Earned some points for the standings, but not in the Power Rankings.
- Washington Spirit (6) - Bye Week
- Houston Dash (8) - Outplayed by the Red Stars in Chicago. Still rise due to Sky Blue loss.
- Orlando Pride (9) - Lost to the Reign on the road. Move up due to Sky Blue losing at home.
- Sky Blue FC (7) - Another home loss to the Courage takes them back to the bottom.