So, the MLS SuperDraft is rapidly getting a whole lot less “super” as the years go by, and you’re certainly not the first to notice.
Still, it’s the primary mechanism by which collegiate soccer players can enter into MLS, and whether or not you hate that part of American soccer, it’s still a valuable entrypoint into the league. (At least, that is, until the CBA strikes it out — I don’t think that happens, of course, but it would sure be interesting!)
And so it is that we come to today, which is when the draft takes place. I know you’re probably surprised by that fact — I’ve been surprised by it several times — so let’s just get you the details and get out of here.
- WHEN: Today, which is to say, Thursday, Jan. 9.
- WHEN, BUT ALSO THE TIME: 10:30 a.m. Mountain, 12:30 p.m. Eastern. There are other time zones, too, but I’ll let you figure out when it would be in, say, Hawaii, or maybe in one of those interesting half-hour-off time zones.
- WHERE: The internet. Namely Twitter. I know, I know. Kinda weird. I get that.
- WHO: I dunno. You’ll notice that the count of draft big boards are down across the league, and you’ll also notice that there have been very few mock drafts. That’s because, well, it was all a weird, quasi-meaningless gamble, anyway.
- WHY: Because it’s the mechanism by which college players are signed.
- WHAT ELSE: No, that’s all, sorry.
- OH WHAT PICKS DO WE HAVE: If you read this article when it was published, it somehow didn’t have this information. We have... pick #20 and pick #46. Those are the ones we have today, at least.
- OH ALSO: This is just rounds one and two.