clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

RSL concedes two second-half goals in 2-1 loss to Vancouver

RSL lost to the Whitecaps for the 2nd time in a row by a score of 2-1. RSL is now winless in four, losing their last three.

MLS: Real Salt Lake at Vancouver Whitecaps FC Troy Wayrynen-USA TODAY Sports

Real Salt Lake dropped their thir straight result with a 2-1 loss to the Vancouver Whitecaps on the road, thanks to an own goal from Douglas Martinez followed by another goal from Lucas Cavallini in the second half. This is the ‘Caps first win since the last time they met RSL in September when they also finished with a 2-1 win.

Damir Kreilach grabbed his 7th goal of the season in the 37th minute when Douglas Martinez sent a cross in across the box to Justin Meram. Meram put a little header into the front of goal, where Kreilach stood completely unmarked and easily tapped it in past Evan Bush.

RSL thought they got another one in first half stoppage time when a set piece play led to Justen Glad heading in a ball to a waiting Kreilach right in front of goal. Dami’s shot bounced off Bush, where Marcelo Silva was there to tap it into the back of the net. Unfortunately, the assistant’s flag came up correctly indicating Kreilach in an offside position off of Glad’s header.

RSL went into the halftime break with a 1-0 lead, trailing in possession with only 48%, and logging the game’s only shot on goal in the first half.

For the third straight game RSL saw an own goal, but unlike the last two, this one was against them as Douglas Martinez accidentally scored on a botched header that was supposed to be a clear. Vancouver sent a free kick in and several RSL jerseys made the jump for it, but unfortunately Martinez’s long header went straight for goal and past Putna’s outstretched hand, leveling the game at 1-1.

Just a couple minutes later the Whitecaps took the lead when Ali Adnan sent in a cross. Marcelo Silva tried to clear it but it fell right to Fredy Montero who sent a shot in. Putna was able to parry that one, but Cavallini got the rebound and easily tapped it in to put the home side up 2-1.

The game would finish with the Whitecaps stealing all three points for the second time in a row against an RSL side that have now lost three in a row, and are winless in four.