This Week in RSL History will look back at events from Utah Soccer’s past. At times this will also include a breakout “This Day in RSL History” to cover significant events, while The Week will give more of an overview of events to allow all of us a chance to say “hey, I remember that!”
We continue with events that occurred this week over the years, Oct. 5–11. Do you remember any of these events?
- 2005: D.C. United extended Real Salt Lake’s losing streak to 10 games.
- 2013: RSL tied FC Dallas at home in spite of being down a man for most of the match after Kenny Mansally got sent off in the 17th minute.
- 2014: A RSL error gave Chivas USA an early 2nd half goal, and they parked the bus over visiting RSL who didn’t take their first shot on goal until the 84th minute. Nick Rimando stopped yet another PK to keep it to just one goal.
- 2007: RSL lost 2-3 at home to expansion companion Chivas USA.
- 2011: Vancouver Whitecaps extended visiting RSL’s losing streak to 4 games. The ‘caps got 2 PK’s on their way to a 3-0 win after Collen Warner was sent off for a handball in the 44th minute.
- 2012: Fabian Espindola scored a brace in 3 minutes and puts on a show as RSL overwhelms LA Galaxy in California.
- 2018: A second half defensive collapse by RSL gave visiting Portland Timbers a 4-1 win, and delayed clinching a playoff spot for at least another week.
- 2019: RSL beat Vancouver Whitecaps 1-0 on the road to secure a home playoff berth by ending up in 3rd place after all other results on decision day went their way.
- 2006: RSL ties Houston Dynamo at home, and go into decision day looking for their first playoff berth.
- 2005: RSL finally snapped a 10 game losing streak by tying San Jose Earthquakes on the road.
- 2008: Plenty of chances for both teams, but neither was able to break the deadlock as RSL tied New York Red Bulls in the first game at Rio Tinto Stadium. Jamison Olave scores first goal for RSL at the RioT.
- 2010: Andy Williams tagged the right post in the 9th minute, but the game vs RSL and New York Red Bulls ended up 0-0 on the road. Nick Rimando picked up his 13th shutout of the season.
- 2014: RSL beat San Jose Earthquakes 2-0 at home to finally secure a playoff berth with 2 games to spare. Ned Grabavoy and Sebastian Velasquez scored 5 minutes apart in the first half.