This Week in RSL History will look back at events from Utah Soccer’s past. At times this will also include a breakout “This Day in RSL History” to cover significant events, while The Week will give more of an overview of events to allow all of us a chance to say “hey, I remember that!”
So we shall commence this series with events that occurred this week (Sept. 28-Oct. 4). Do you remember any of these events?
- 2010 - RSL tied Toronto FC 0-0 on the road for 6 consecutive games unbeaten.
- 2011 - Home loss to Chicago 3-0. This marked RSL’s worst home loss to date (later broken), but it also was Javi Morales’ first game back after the broken ankle suffered on May 7th (video below).
- 2013 - Resting nearly all the regular starters due to the US Open Cup final to be played 3 days later, RSL earned their first ever win in Vancouver using 2nd string players.
- 2007 - RSL tied the New York Red Bulls 2-2 on the road marking a 4 game unbeaten streak.
- 2012 - Alvaro Saborio scored a hat trick as RSL visited struggling Chivas USA, ultimately beating them 4-0.
- 2019 - RSL beat visiting Houston Dynamo 2-1. This was the final home game for Nick Rimando’s illustrious career, and secured a 2019 playoff berth for the team. Corey Baird scored the game’s first goal only 34 seconds after kickoff.
- 2006 - RSL tied the Kansas City Wizards 3-3.
- 2017 - Down a man after a 14th minute red card to Marcelo Silva, RSL picked up a point against LA Galaxy on the road with a stoppage time goal by Kyle Beckerman.
- 2018 - RSL gritted out a 1-1 result on the road against Sporting Kansas City with several players injured to keep playoff hopes alive for another week.
- 2005- RSL’s inaugural season is not going well. The game against Colorado Rapids on this date marked the 9th consecutive loss.
- 2011 - RSL flew to LA on short rest and fell to the LA Galaxy 2-1. RSL’s losing streak reaches 3 consecutive games.
- 2013 - In what would be the worst way to end the season, RSL controlled nearly every part of the game, but ultimately lost the US Open Cup final match at home vs the worst team in the MLS during 2013, D.C. United (video below).
- 2008 - RSL takes a two goal lead against New England Revolution on the road, but concede late resulting in a 2-2 draw (video below). This match featured some players who later/now moved on to other notable jobs (Taylor Twellman, Andy Williams, and Jay Heaps).
- 2010 - RSL played their 2nd game in a week (against Toronto above), back at home against New York Red Bulls, winning 1-0 and running the unbeaten streak to 7 games.
- 2015 - RSL beats Colorado Rapids 2-1, tying the series, but it was not enough to retain the Rocky Mountain Cup as the Rapids take it on goal differential.