Here’s some of the latest news items from the world of soccer!
- The Club World Cup draw took place Tuesday. CCL winners Tigres UANL will face Japanese side Ulsan Hyundai on Feb. 4th. (CONCACAF)
- Lionel Messi received a red card as Barcelona loses Spanish Super Cup 2-3 to Athletic Bilbao. (Guardian)
- Messi receives a 2 game ban for striking a Balbao player, but Barcelona is appealing the ruling. (Goal)
- On March 9th 2021, FC International Milano will have a name change. Going forward they will formally adopt “Inter Milano” as their official moniker, and a new logo will be designed to reflect the change. (Gazzetta - Italian)
- The French football league is cancelling it’s broadcast contract with BeIn TV due to coverage not up to contract. New bids have been requested for the 2021-22 season. (InsiderSport)
- Fans threw trash on the field during an Australian W-League match forcing a delay. (Guardian)
- The coaching rumor for D.C. United has proven true as they announced Argentine Hernn Losada as head coach on Monday. (MLS)
- The second rumor also proved true with Inter Miami announcing Phil Neville as head coach. (Goal)
- 3 goals from Sam Mewis, and one more from her sister sealed the win for USWNT over Columbia on Monday night. Both teams play another friendly match on Jan. 22nd at 3 PM MST on ESPN. (Front Row)
- The 2021 MLS Superdraft will start Thursday at noon Mountain time. Real Salt Lake has the 7th pick in the first round. (MLS)
- John Bradford has been named head coach of NWSL’s North Carolina FC. (Front Row)
- Portland Thorns veteran goalkeeper Britt Eckerstrom has announced her retirement. (Stumptown)
- As MLS prepares for the 2021 draft; here’s a look back at Alain Maca, the very first person picked in the first soccer draft 49 years ago. (Front Row)
- Former RSL and USMNT asst. coach has accepted the same role with Houston Dynamo. (MLS)
Your video of the day - Messi’s foul and red card vs Bilbao.