Here’s your dose of soccer news from the weekend.
- FIFA may have put a damper on the European Super League proposed by some of the continent’s elite teams. “Any club or player involved in such a competition would as a consequence not be allowed to participate in any competition organized by FIFA or their respective confederation.” (USP)
- Is Frank Lampard on thin ice at Chelsea, or does he need more time? (Guardian)
- The 2021 CCL schedule has been announced. (MLS)
- Wolverhampton won their FA Cup match vs 6th tier Chorley, but they had to work for it! (NBC)
- How VAR has changed football forever. (Guardian)
- US International Tyler Adams has scored his first goal in the Bundesliga. (NBC)
- How is Brexit affecting British Football? (Guardian)
- Ranking the appearance of every FIFA World Cup ball from 1970-2018. (Balls)
- Manchester United piles more woe on Liverpool with 3-2 FA Cup win. (Guardian)
- We are now days away from the very real prospect of a MLS lockout. (USP)
- It’s official. Seattle Sounders forward Jordan Morris has been loaned to Swansea City. (MLS)
- Is the Superdraft still worth keeping for MLS? (USP)
- David Beckham insists that new Miami FC coach Phil Neville was appointed on merit not on friendship. (Guardian) (The Score)
- USWNT beat Columbia for the 2nd time this week with a 6-0 shutout. Megan Rapinoe gets a brace, and newcomer Catarina Macario scores first goal on her 2nd game, and first start. (BBC)
- Who knew? NBA player Luka Doncic has some soccer skills!
Hey @luka7doncic— Taylor Twellman (@TaylorTwellman) January 23, 2021
how’s your 1st touch?!
- Aaron Herrera gets his first call-up to the USMNT for game vs Trinidad & Tobago. (MLS)
- Herrera isn’t only attracting attention from abroad, but also from within MLS. (Massive)
And finally your Video of the weekend - Josh Sargent scores in the 78th minute.