The Roundup has returned! While it may not be the thrice weekly feature it was years ago, we’ll try to bring you some of the more noteworthy news events from the world of soccer.
- One of the most tantalizing news items that broke this week was that Barcelona was interested in buying a MLS team, giving Lionel Messi part-ownership and having both he and Luis Suarez play! It’s likely the longest of long-shots, but wonderful fodder for “what if”.
- With England currently undergoing a new serious outbreak of COVID-19, EPL’s Aston Villa has been hit hard. Their training grounds were closed due to the outbreak. The scheduled FA Cup game between Southampton and Shrewsbury has been postponed due to cases on both teams, and the EPL match between Burnley and Fulham has also been postponed.
- Manchester United has completed a $50 million transfer deal for 18 year old winger Amad Diallo from Italian side Atalanta BC.
- The scheduled U-20 and U-17 Mens qualifier and championship competitions have been cancelled by FIFA over travel concerns due to COVID-19.
- USL is asking for feedback and suggestions for the 2021 Championship and League 1 season through their first Supporter’s Survey.
- NWSL has opened up the women’s draft to all NCAA Division One seniors who have played 3 years of college soccer. The NWSL draft is on Jan. 13th at 5 PM MST.
- Former Utah Royal rookie Tziarra King has been traded to OL Reign from Kansas City’s new expansion team.
- U.S Women’s coach Vlatko Andonovksi has announced call-ups for the 2021 January camp. Likewise, for the men’s side; Gregg Berhalter and Jason Kreis have called up players for the separate USMNT and U-23 camps. Two RSL players are part of the U-23 camp - David Ochoa and Aaron Herrera.
- Philadelphia Union have traded CB Mark McKenzie to Belgian side Genk for an undisclosed “multi-million dollar fee” which could be the highest ever paid for a MLS Centerback.
- 2020 expansion team Inter Miami is looking for a new coach after parting ways with Diego Alonso. Co-owner David Beckham has reportedly been having talks with England’s National Women’s coach Phil Neville about the position.
- Another veteran MLS goalkeeper has retired. Luis Robles made the decision public yesterday after a broken arm late in 2020 ended his season with Inter Miami.
- LA Galaxy have named former Toronto FC coach Greg Vanney as their new head coach. Vanney was a player for the Galaxy for seven years from 1996-01 and again in 2007.
- Former Sporting Kansas City defender Matt Besler has been signed by 2021 expansion team Austin FC as a free agent.
Finally your video of the week