New England Revolution have won the 2021 Supporter’s Shield for the first time in club history. The announcement came before they even kicked off on on Sunday, the first game on Saturday featured Seattle Sounders, the only team that could have caught them; losing to Sporting Kansas City. The loss put Seattle’s maximum possible points below the Revolution’s current total. New England’s next target is setting a new record for total points, the current record of 72 was set by Los Angeles FC in 2019. After Sunday’s draw with Orlando the Revs only need one win from their last two games to break the record.
REAL SALT LAKE / UTAH
- [SLT] The league has suspended RSL defender Noah Powder 3 games for driving while impaired. He was pulled over last summer with a BAC of .133.
- [MLS] Recap: Chicago Fire 1, Real Salt Lake 0.
Highlightslowlights of the Chicago Fire vs RSL match.
MLS / USL / NWSL
- [TWIT] (with video) Former RSL striker Devon Sandoval, currently playing for New Mexico United, has his 2021 season end due to health condition.
- [MLS] Top candidates for the Houston Dynamo head coach job include Dennis te Kloese and Pat Onstad.
- [Goal] Dwayne “the Rock” Johnson offered some commentary on a questionable play in the Seattle Sounders vs Sporting Kansas City match.
- [MLS] Columbus Crew and USMNT forward Gyasi Zardez suffered an MCL strain, he’s out for 2-4 weeks which puts selection for USMNT vs Mexico questionable.
- [USSOC][FRS][SI] The USWNT played South Korea in a friendly last Thursday, it ended in a scoreless draw. The 2nd friendly is scheduled for Tuesday.
- [CBS] Bob Marley’s daughter Cedella Marley has started a global Women’s inititative called Football is Freedom. It is intended to grow and support the sport in the Caribbean, Latin American and USA.
- [APN][FFT#2] Manchester United suffered one of the worst home defeats in it’s history on Sunday, losing 5-0 to Liverpool.
- [Goal] Calls for Manchester United coach Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to be fired increase after the loss vs Liverpool.
- [SI] FIFA’s bi-annual World Cup plan is ill-conceived and rushed, with no real evidence to support it’s claims of growing the sport.
- [TheScore] The 2022 World Cup draw will be held on April 1st in Qatar.
- [APN] Bundesliga side Wolfsburg fired their coach Mark van Bommel after only 13 games.
Is there anything you the readers would like to see more or less of in the Roundup? Recaps of games from MLS or other leagues? Anything you would like to have added? Comments and suggestions welcome.