New England Revolution set a new MLS record for points on Wednesday, and could extend it with one final game left against Inter Miami.
San Jose Earthquakes lost their game and have been eliminated from the playoffs. Inter Miami is one loss or tie away from joining the list of has-beens, with Columbus Crew close behind.
Real Salt Lake now has 3 games, and still have a game in hand over everyone else in the west except for Austin (already out), and Sporting Kansas City (out of our reach). Our maximum point total remains at 54, and our projected points based on home & away PPG is 50. That returns us to 5th place, tied with the Vancouver Whitecaps on points, but we hold both of the first tiebreakers.
So let’s take a look at the games this weekend and see what would be the best results for RSL.
RSL returns home to play San Jose on Saturday. We have typically done well at home vs the Quakes, and it should be Wondolowski’s last visit to the RioT. We really need a win to stay above the line. The other teams with us on the bubble also play, and could still knock us below the line. A win would also move us within one point of Portland Timbers - who we play next Wednesday at home. A tie will only make it so that we have to rely on other results to save us.
Sunday, Oct. 31th - Monday, Nov. 1st
Only relevant games listed. Games between teams eliminated, or that we have no chance to reach are not included.
- Minnesota United vs Sporting Kansas City - Best result is to have KC win. it would ensure that the Loons remain equal or below us. If both RSL and Minnesota win, we’d remain tied with us holding the Wins (and likely GD) tiebreakers, the same if we both tie.
- Seattle Sounders vs LA Galaxy - A Sounders win is our best bet. The Galaxy sit only one point ahead of RSL, we could either move ahead by 2 or equal them (and be ahead on tiebreakers) with a win or tie.
- Los Angeles FC vs Vancouver Whitecaps - If both teams could arrange a tie for RSL, that would be nice. I don’t see it happening, but that would be the ideal result. Vancouver sit 2 points ahead, while the Angels sit one point behind. If we win, and they draw we’re equal on points, with us taking 5th on the first tiebreaker. Both RSL and LAFC winning would still benefit us by moving both of us ahead of the Whitecaps.
Standings and Games Remaining
- *SKC: 58 - (10/31) Away vs MIN, (11/3) Away vs AUS, (11/7) Home vs RSL
- *SEA: 58 - (11/1) Home vs LAG, (11/7) Away vs VAN
- *COL: 55 - (10/31) Away vs HOU, (11/7) Home vs LAFC
- POR: 49 - (11/3) Away vs RSL, (11/7) Home vs AUS
- VAN: 47 - (11/1) Away vs LAFC, (11/7) Home vs SEA
- LAG: 46 - (11/1) Away vs SEA, (11/7) Home vs MIN
- RSL: 45 - (10/30) Home vs SJE, (11/3) Home vs POR, (11/7) Away vs SKC
- MIN: 45 - (10/31) Home vs SKC, (11/7) Away vs LAG
- LAFC: 44 - (11/1) Home vs VAN, (11/7) Away vs COL
SJE: 37- (10/30) Away vs RSL, (11/7) Home vs FCD
HOU: 30- (10/31) Home vs COL, (11/7) Away vs MTL
FCD: 29- (10/30) Home vs AUS, (11/7) Away vs SJE
AUS: 28- (10/30) Away vs FCD, (11/3) Home vs SKC, (11/7) Away vs POR
Current projected Western Conference Final Points
- Sporting Kansas City: 63 (top 3 guaranteed)
- Seattle Sounders: 62 (top 3 guaranteed)
- Colorado Rapids: 59 (top 4 guaranteed)
- Portland Timbers: 52
- Real Salt Lake: 50 (ahead on wins and GD tiebreakers)
- Vancouver Whitecaps: 50
- LA Galaxy: 49
- Minnesota United: 48
- Los Angeles FC: 47
- San Jose Earthquakes: 37 (eliminated)
- Houston Dynamo: 32 (eliminated)
- FC Dallas: 31 (eliminated)
- Austin FC: 29 (eliminated)