Last week saw the NWSL set into turmoil over the termination of a prominent coach, which culminated Friday with all weekend games being cancelled or postponed (unclear as yet), and the resignation of Commissioner Lisa Baird. Baird reportedly knew about the allegations of harassment against players, but did nothing about it. This in only the latest reported incident in a series that go back years, and has involved multiple teams including North Carolina Courage, Portland Thorns, Washington Spirit, Racing Louisville, OL Reign and Utah Royals.
US Soccer has now opened it’s own investigation into what seems to be rampant misconduct in the league. What is clear is that the league as we know it must change.
While NWSL news is shocking to many, it’s not alone - other reports have shown Women’s Soccer is rife with misconduct that often goes unpunished. Men’s soccer also has it’s fair share of abusive problems with players and coaches that often go unreported and unpunished as well.
REAL SALT LAKE / UTAH
- [MLS] Damir Kreilach focused on taking RSL to the playoffs.
- [MLS] Recap and game highlights: Austin FC 2, RSL 1.
- [AUS] Game recap from Austin FC.
MLS / USL / NWSL
- [MLS] John Hackworth has been hired as coaching director for 2023 expansion side Saint Louis City SC.
- [CBS] Retired French striker Thierry Henri explains why a 2 year World Cup cycle is a bad idea.
- [Balls] Liverpool coach Jurgen Klopp compared people who are not vaccinated against Covid-19 to those who endanger others by driving while drunk.
Is there anything you the readers would like to see more or less of in the Roundup? Recaps of games from MLS or other leagues? Anything you would like to have added? Comments and suggestions welcome.