MLS Commissioner Don Garber gave the annual State of the League address on Tuesday. Included were several items of note, including naming Las Vegas as a front-runner to be the next MLS expansion team, but does warn that it’s not 100% yet; Phoenix and San Diego are still in the running. As for the RSL ownership situation: “We continue to be engaged in discussions with potential owners,” but it appears the original timeline of end of 2021 will not be achieved.
REAL SALT LAKE / UTAH
- [DN][SI][SocWire][APN] The NCAA Women’s final between BYU and Florida State went to PK’s after a scoreless draw. Florida pulled out the win 4-3.
- [RSL] 2022 roster decisions announced.
- [SBI] Former RSL Academy player Richie Ledezma returns to action for Jong PSV after a year off due to ACL tear.
MLS / USL / NWSL
- [MLS][SI] Former New York Red Bulls and Toronto FC coach, Chris Armas has been named an asst. coach for Manchester United.
- [FRS] Yael Averbuch West has been named as the new league GM with Stephanie Lee as asst. GM.
- [MLS] The league has updated it’s policy for diversity in hiring.
- [SI][FRS] New England Revolution’s Carles Gil has been named league MVP.
- [NWSL] Orlando Pride name Amanda Cromwell as the head coach.
- [SSD] San Diego Loyal make proposal for a 20,000 seat stadium as a bid to renovate the Pechanga Arena area. 4 other bids have also been made, the winning bid is expected to be named in the first half of 2022.