It’s the very last news roundup for the month of February! That’s 1/6th of the year gone already, MLS preseason is about to start, and we still don’t have any hints about a new owner yet.
One item of news did come out that will be of concern to fans of Real Salt Lake; Andy Williams, former player and most recently the team’s prolific scout made a stunning announcement.
Since I haven't heard from the RSL front office in over a month now I've decided to move on with my life. This past has been very hard on me (FURLOUGHED, DLH, COVID). I've never felt more unappreciated and disrespected in my life.— Andy Williams (@bommadog) February 24, 2021
If the front office lets him slip away we’ll be losing not only another team legend, but also a scout with a lot of talent and contacts! We hoped RSL had learned a lesson on valuing players from Javi Morales debacle - evidently not!
- Manchester City coach Pep Guardiola spoke out about Aston Villa’s investigation on player Fantasy Leagues. Says the leaks are unprofessional and unethical. [Goal]
- Concacaf and CBS have announced a new multi-year broadcast partnership to stream matches on the new Paramount+ network. [Concacaf] The new network is planning to challenge Peacock as the best choice for live sports online. [FOS]
- Costa Rica will host the Concacaf Beach Soccer World Cup qualifying tournament in May. [FRS]
- PRO referees Jair Marrufo and Asst. Referee Frank Anderson have been selected by Concacaf to officiate during the Olympic Qualifiers in March. [Concacaf]
- The USWNT beat Argentina 6-0 to win their 4th overall, and second consecutive She Believes Cup. [SBI]
- A new Anti-Racist Project has formed with a plan to take action against racism and inequality in US Soccer. Chicago Fire (MLS), Angel City FC (NWSL), Oakland Roots (USL), and the American Outlaws have all announced their support. [SSF][GOAL][Guardian]
- Former USMNT interim head coach Dave Sarachan has been named as the head coach for Puerto Rico. [SBI]
- How an analytical chemist became one of the top referees for US Soccer. [FIFA]
- Rising US youth prospect Matthew Hoppe says he plans to stay with Schalke even if they get relegated from the Bundesliga. [SBI]
- MLS: CF Montreal head coach Thierry Henry resigns unexpectedly, cites COVID restrictions which cause separation from family as the reason. [MLS] Montreal now starts the search for a new coach with little time left before the season starts. [MLS]
- RSL academy grad, and US Youth player Taylor Booth made a strong debut for Austria’s St. Polten after being loaned from Bayern Munich. [ASN]
- USL: Betsy Haugh named director of women’s operations for USL. [SSD]
- MLS: More clubs have unveiled their new kits for 2021 - FC Cincinnati new home kit [MLS], and Chicago with both home and away kits. [MLS] Here’s a gallery of all the team kits revealed so far. [SBI]
- NWSL: The US and Canadian National Team players allocation list has been announced with 32 players participating. [NSWL]
- MLS: Expansion team Charlotte FC and the NFL team Carolina Panthers begin $50 million renovations on Bank of America Stadium as they prepare to join MLS in 2022. [MLS]
- MLS: The state of Ohio may allow up to 30% capacity for home games in 2021. [SSD]
- MLS: Which new coaches face the biggest hurdles for 2021? [MLS]
- USL League 2: Schedule announced for 2021, the games will kick off May 1st. [FRS]
- In the Desert Diamond Cup, RSL had 2 players sent off after the 70th minute on questionable calls and lost as the LA Galaxy score 2 goals in the final 10 minutes. [2/26/12]
- What we learned from RSL’s preseason - hint, some of them we still struggle with. [2/27/13]
- Alvaro Saborio scored a brace in a 3-1 romp over FC Tucson in the Desert Diamond Cup. [2/27/14]
- MLS fined Dell Loy Hansen $150,000 for comments he made on ESPN 700 radio over Free Agency and the new Collective Bargaining Agreement. [2/27/15]
- Some thoughts on RSL’s Rocky Mountain rivals, the Colorado Rapids (including some about our new Asst. Coach Pablo Mastroeni). [2/29/16]
- Five things we learned about RSL’s preseason. [2/27/17]
A canine pitch invader in Bolivia has been adopted by the player that caught him.