New owner watch: 66 days since the league took over.
Here we are in the middle of March already! The US U-23 Men’s team will kick off Olympic qualifying on Thursday vs Costa Rica, teams from MLS that are in the Concacaf Champions League will resume play in less than a month, while the rest of the league have just over a month to go. Finally we have some non-foreign games to watch again!
- A growing number of fans are getting annoyed by the “expected goals” metric often used to measure a team’s performance. [FFT]
- The English FA Cup final in May is expected to have over 10,000 fans allowed as vaccination numbers rise. [Guardian]
- South Korea’s Son Heung-min went from compulsory military training to soccer star for Tottenham Hotspur. [FFT]
- The EPL’s Chief Executive Richard Masters has warned that the league potentially faces a loss of up to £2 billion for the 2020-21 season. [Guardian]
- Sheffield United suffer 2nd season syndrome as Premier League relegation is nearly confirmed. Coach Chris Wilder to resign at end of season. [Guardian] Here are other teams that have also succumbed to 2nd season syndrome. [FFT]
- Thirty three former players from USL-Championship and League One teams have made the Olympic qualifying teams for their respective countries. [USLC]
- A wrap up of all the Americans playing abroad. [SBI]
- US International Sam Kerr netted a hat trick on the way to Chelsea’s 6-0 victory over Bristol City to win the English Women’s Super League cup. [Guardian]
- Orlando City refused an offer of $10 million for Daryl Dike from an un-named EPL team. [SBI] His rise to success is chronicled here. [SSF]
- Alexandre Pato turned down offers from Europe before signing with Orlando City. [MLS]
- Los Angeles FC have selected USL-Championship’s Las Vegas Lights as their affiliate. USMNT veteran Steve Cherundolo named as new head coach. [SBI]
- NWSL’s Washington Spirit have signed all 4 of their 2021 draft picks. [NWSL]
- FC Cincinnati is finalizing a DP deal to sign Luciano Acosta for $3 million transfer fee. [Multiplex]
- Real Salt Lake finalized it’s roster signing Chris Schuler and Tim Melia to developmental contracts. [3/16/10]
- RSL beat Costa Rica’s Saprissa 2-0 in the first leg of the CCL playoffs. [3/15/11]
- The first Rocky Mountain Cup match of the season would end in a 1-1 draw at the RioT. [3/16/13]
- RSL concedes a 95th minute goal to tie San Jose Earthquakes 3-3 on the road. [3/15/14]
Apparently the goalkeeper forgot what his job is for a moment.