New owner watch: 68 days since the league took over.
Happy St. Patrick’s Day! Grass stains on soccer kits from sliding tackles count as wearing green in my book!
And don’t forget that the USMNT U-23 team starts the Olympic Qualifying tomorrow (March 18th) vs Costa Rica! It will be televised on FS1 at 3:30 PM.
- Concacaf is looking into starting a Women’s Champions League after the 2023 World Cup. [PINQ]
- New Zealand is launching a new mentorship program hoping to bring more women into coaching ranks. [FIFA]
- Two home break-ins during a match seem to have derailed Paris Saint-Germain’s season. Other teams have faced very similar crimes in the past. [Goal]
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic to play for Sweden again. [NBCS]
- The head coach for Croatia’s Dinamo Zagreb, Zoran Mamic has resigned and will serve a 4 year sentence for embezzling £13.13 million from the club. [Guardian]
- It’s looking more likely that Cristiano Ronaldo will rejoin Manchester United. [Sportslens]
- Cristiano Ronaldo holds the world record for goals scored, but will it be disputed? [TheScore]
- The top Belgian teams are supporting the idea of merging with the Netherlands to create a new merged league. [USAT]
- FIFA is collaborating with the UN Office on Drugs and Crime to provide assistance to all world leagues in combating match fixing. [FIFA]
- English League 1 side Wigan Athletic have been sold to a UK based company. [Guardian]
- Japan’s 2011 Women’s World Cup winner Nahomi Kawasumi has declined to carry the Olympic Torch on the upcoming tour due to Covid-19 travel restrictions. She currently plays in the NWSL for Sky Blue FC. [FirstPost]
- Yunus Musah, an 18 year old rising soccer player has declined offers to play for England, Italy and Ghana in favor of the USMNT. He currently plays for CF Valencia in Spain. [USSOC][SSF][NBCS]
- A look at the top options up top for the USMNT. [Benchkings]
- US U-23 team is focused on not repeating the failures of the past. [SBI]
- The USWNT will play France in an April friendly. [WaPo]
- Top 5 trophy droughts in MLS history (Real Salt Lake ranks 3rd). [Multiplex]
- Austrian international star Husein Balic is getting some interest from 5 MLS teams. [Multiplex]
- New Mexico United’s Micheal Azira has been called up for Uganda in the upcoming Africa Cup of Nations Qualifying games. He formerly played for Chicago Fire. [USLC]
- D.C. United’s Steven Birnbaum to miss the first 2-3 months of this season due to ankle surgery. [WaPo]
- Inter Milan have won the first legal battle in the trademark infringement suit against Inter Miami. There are now talks of settlement. [JDSupra]
- The CBA negotiations 11 years ago were much worse than the contentious one this year. Here’s a look back at their progress. [3/17/10]
- A preview of the RSL vs LA Galaxy match. Notch this one up to a failed long-term prediction as the Galaxy would go on to win the MLS Cup that year. [3/17/11]
- RSL beat New York Red Bulls 2-0 at the RioT with goals from Espindola and Gil. (highlights below) [3/17/12]
- Five RSL players were called up to international duty, including 3 for the USMNT. [3/18/13]
- Editor Matt Montgomery analyzes RSL’s late breakdown in the 3-3 draw vs San Jose Earthquakes. [3/17/14]
- Former RSL center-back Chris Schuler makes his return from injury by signing with Real Monarchs for the season. [3/18/16]
A look back at the highlights of RSL’s home opener in 2012.