New owner watch: 73 days since the league took over the sale.
The US U-23’s played their 2nd Olympic qualifying match on Sunday against Dominican Republic. Glad and Saucedo started, Soto came in at the half. Despite dominating the first half, the score remained 0-0. Saucedo assisted in the first US goal in the 61st minute before being subbed off. The game ended with the US winning 4-0.
- FIFA President Gianni Infantino reiterated the organizations responsibility to lead the fight against racism. [FIFA]
- More reports of racial abuse in Europe. The first came during a Europa League between Scotland’s Rangers and Czech’s Slavia Prague. Rangers player Glen Kamara is calling on UEFA and FIFA to practice what they preach. [Twitter] In the Bundesliga an English player with Borussa Dortmund shared abusive comments he received on Instagram. Facebook, which owns the platform had announced new punishments last month, but it’s doubtful if it will be enough. [Guardian]
- After conceding 3 goals in the opening 32 minutes, Arsenal fought back to tie West Ham in the EPL on Sunday. [CBS]
- Italy and Netherlands both failed to qualify for World Cup 2018. They have each made changes to improve their chances as qualification for 2022 begins. [FIFA]
- UEFA Champions League quarterfinal draw produced some big matchups. [CBS]
- FIFA has taken the host selection for future Women’s World Cups out of the hands of the Executive Council. Selection will now be up to the entire FIFA Congress. [FIFA]
- Jose Mourinho is on thin ice at Tottenham Hotspur after early Europa League exit. Brendan Rodgers is the front runner to replace him. [FFT]
- US International, and former Seattle Sounder DeAndre Yedlin scored a first half goal for his new team, Galatasaray in Turkey to level the match, then got sent off with a 2nd yellow in the 2nd half. Galatasaray would lose the match 3-4 vs Rizespor. [Multiplex]
- Megan Rapinoe hopes that the current USWNT fight for equal pay will benefit the next generation. [Goal]
- 3 players called up for the USMNT camp have withdrawn due to Covid travel restrictions. Jordan Siebatcheu and Christian Cappis have been named as replacements. [TheScore]
- The 3 Texas MLS teams have announced the creation of a new preseason tournament dubbed “La Copita“. Austin, FC Dallas, Houston Dynamo as well as USL sides San Antonio FC and Oklahoma City Energy will all participate. [MLS]
- David Beckham visited a recent Inter Miami training practice with his two sons. A reporter made sure to chronicle the visit in pictures. [Dailymail]
- David Ochoa paid tribute to the former New York Red Bull, and US youth goalkeeper coach Des McAleenan after last week’s 1-0 win vs Costa Rica. [Multiplex] He died unexpectedly last month at age 53. [MLS]
ALL FOR YOU DES, I’M GONNA MAKE YOU PROUD ❤️ https://t.co/w9C6zjJfm6— David Ochoa (@davidochoagk) March 19, 2021
- Some TV viewing numbers from the first week of MLS in 2012. Looking back, NBC Sports coverage was really lacking. [2/22/12]
- Real Salt Lake’s Texas curse continued with a 2-0 loss vs FC Dallas. [3/23/13]
- RSL tied LA Galaxy 1-1 in their 2014 home opener. [3/22/14]
- Real Monarchs kicked of their inaugural match with a 1-1 draw vs Los Dos (LAG 2). [3/22/15]
- After RSL fired coach Jeff Cassar, we take a look at the records of the 3 coaches in the team’s history. [3/22/17]
If you’re a fan of old British Comedy shows, you likely have heard of Only Fools and Horses. Here’s a special episode of that show for Comedy Relief: Red Nose Day featuring David Beckham.