The ownership count has been ended in light of the information from MLS Comissioner Don Garber that he’s “optimistic of what will come to fruition, hopefully by the end of the year.”
As a follow-up, it looks as though Jazz owner Ryan Smith is still interested, but wants to see how the 2021 season progresses first. Hopefully we’ll know more in a few months.
On a more positive note MLS First Kick is Friday!! If you haven’t already taken the time to make your predictions for the upcoming season, there’s still time!
In the biggest piece of news from mid-week, NWSL has opened an investigation after Chicago Red Stars player Sarah Gorden accused a Houston security officer of racial profiling. [Guardian] / [NWSL] / [USAT]. After the incident, the Red Stars players showed their support of Gorden via social media, and the team owner was fined by NWSL for violating a league directive on the issue. [CTrib]
- [Star] 15 biggest Premier League players who never lived up to the hype.
- [FIFA] The Asia Football League has started it’s new revamped Champions League tournament with 40 teams drawn into 10 groups.
- [FIFA] For the first time the Chilean Womens Team has qualified for the Olympics by beating Cameroon in the continental playoff.
- [USSOC] The USWNT unbeaten streak hits 39 games with a 2-0 win vs France.
- [Soccerwire] Top 100 US U15-U19 boy’s soccer clubs aggregated from YouthSoccerRankings.US. (Two RSL teams placed fairly high on this list).
- [Concacaf] Las Vegas has been selected as the host city for the Concacaf Gold Cup final on August 1st (bring your air conditioners).
- [SBI] Portland Timbers advance to Semis after a Yimmi Chara hat trick.
- [Concacaf] Atlanta United roll to a 2-0 win vs Costa Rican powerhouse Alajuelense to advance.
- [MLS] Toronto FC ousts first LigaMX team after beating Club Leon 2-1.
- [MLS] Philadelphia Union rout Costa Rica’s Saprissa 4-0 to move on.
- Note that Columbus Crew will play tonight to try and make it 5-5 for MLS clubs advancing.
- [NSC] Nashville SC have extended coach Gary Smith’s contract.
- [Soccerwire] NWSL’s Racing Louisville and Chicago Red Stars will join FC Bayern Munich and Paris-Saint Germain’s women’s teams in the inaugural Women’s Cup invitational tournament this summer.
- [ESPN] With the Sacramento expansion bid on indefinate hold, Don Garber mentioned Phoenix, Las Vegas and San Diego as possible options.
- [FRS] After 7 years, stadium plans for New York City FC are still stuck in neutral.
- [ASN] MLS Eastern Conference Preview.
- [Multiplex] Inter Miami in trouble for violating the MLS Salary Cap with 4 DP’s.
- [USSP] MLS struggles to break into the world ‘money leagues’.
- [SBN] Another effort to grade the new MLS Jerseys. Which is your favorite? (At least Real Salt Lake didn’t end up failing this one!)
- [Deadspin] A 15 year old soccer prodigy is challenging NWSL rules for signing youth players.
- [4/16/05] Brian Dunseth makes RSL history after scoring the first home goal for the team.
- [4/18/10] RSL lost 2-1 on the road to LA Galaxy. Here’s some choice player quotes after the match.
- [4/17/13] Olmes Garcia scored his first goal for RSL, and it was a beauty.
- [4/16/14] There were some (now) familiar names on display as RSL’s U-17 team beat English side Stoke City in a PK shootout.
- [4/17/16] Juan “Burrito” Martinez and Nick Rimando put on a show as RSL beat Vancouver 1-0. (highlights)
- [4/18/17] A timeless reminder - Five people you shouldn’t be at a soccer game.
The best long-range goal of the year came from 3rd tier Irish side Shamrock Rovers just before halftime.