MLS week one is in the books! Look for the recap later today if you missed any of the games.
- [FFT] The rumors of a “European Super League” have once again heated up.
- [Goal] UEFA and national leagues have vowed to stop any ‘breakaway league’ plans.
- [ESPN] What are the pros and cons of the proposed “Super League”, and what damage could it do in Europe?
- [WFTV] Chelsea ended Manchester United’s hopes of winning the quadruple with a 1-0 win in the FA Cup quarterfinal. [CBS] Chelsea will face Leicester City in the final.
- [Sport] Zlatan Ibrahimovic facing a fine and possible 3 year suspension after violating FIFA gambling rules.
- [FIFA] The Olympic Soccer draw for both Men’s and Women’s teams will take place on April 21st at 2 AM MDT. It will be streamed on Twitter, Facebook and FIFA’s Youtube channel.
- [SBI] A wrapup of games for Americans Abroad.
- [USSP] For the first time in the history of the Concacaf Champions League, all 5 MLS teams have advanced to the Semifinal round.
- [MLS] The US Open Cup is being postponed.
- [MLS] MLS is providing 50,000 tickets to essential workers for games this year.
- [FBO] Dutch GK Kenneth Vermeer has been released from Los Angeles FC by mutual consent on the eve of their first game. No explaination given at this time.
- [Guardian] After an investigation into Inter Miami’s 2020 season it has been found they violated the MLS Salary Cap by having 4 Designated Players after French midfielder Blaise Matuidi joined in August. Sanctions are being considered and will be announced in the future.
- [USSP] More young players in MLS show that more academies are now producing replacement level players.
Statement from the Supporters' Shield Foundation Board regarding the 2021 Supporters' Shield: pic.twitter.com/2D8sDyHvr0— Supporters' Shield Foundation (@SupporterShield) April 15, 2021
- [4/21/11] Real Salt Lake played the first leg of the Champions League final in Monterrey, Mexico, and came out with a 2-2 draw after Javier Morales eqalized in the 89th minute.
- [4/20/12] RSL is off to a great start for 2012!
- [4/20/13] Morales scores, and Rimando saves yet another PK vs Chivas to win 1-0.
- [4/19/14] RSL hope to preserve 3 streaks vs Portland. (They did with a 1-0 win).
- [4/20/15] Chris Schuler undergoes surgery on his meniscus, out 4-6 weeks.
- [4/20/16] RSL’s top five games vs LA Galaxy.
Reactions to the proposed European Super League.