“Back to life, Back to reality...”
Some very good tidbits of information were dispersed in the Fan Council Meeting held on Tues. April 27th (courtesy of /u/PrideRSL on Reddit). The key item of interest is that there are around 6 potential buyers groups in talks (any who wished to move the team MLS were culled). All are waiting to see how the fans respond to home games - attendance, adherence to the Covid rules regarding masks/food areas, etc... before making their decisions. RSL interim/acting President John Kimball also hopes to remain with the team once a new owner is selected.
There is also a possible new post-game tradition in the works to have Ochoa punt an autographed ball into the stands. We’ll see if this has wings or not.
The CO2 cannons will still not be in operation this season due to COVID protocols. Fireworks have been confirmed for the July 3rd and July 24th matches, and the tailgate lots will be open for parking, tailgating is still currently allowed, but the lots will not be monitored by official RSL representatives.
So as fans we now all have incentive to show potential owners how great we are! Show up, yell loud, and please obey the new stadium rules!
Now onto the news.
- [ESPN]/[MLS] RSL has reportedly made an offer for Jonathan Menendez from Argentina’s Club Atlético Independiente.
- [MLS] What the David Ochoa episode has taught us about RSL in 2021.
- [Multiplex] MLS Next is experiencing explosive growth in youth teams after the US Development Academy folds. (MLSNext)
- [DSS] Atlanta United will move to 100% stadium capacity starting May 15th.
- [MLS] Philadelphia Union trounced Atlanta United 3-0 in the first leg of the CCL semifinal.
- [MLS] Toronto FC faces steep climb on away leg vs Cruz Azul after a 3-1 loss at home.
- [MLS] Columbus Crew drew 2-2 with Monterrey on the home leg meaning they will have to win in Mexico to advance.
- [MLS] A late PK salvaged a 1-1 tie for Portland Timbers on the home leg vs Club America.
- [NWSL] has announced it’s full regular season schedule.
- [IWF] Angel City FC has hired UK-based Women’s Sports Group (WSG) to improve it’s brand globally.
- [NWSL] OL Reign has traded veteran Ally Long to NJ/NY Gotham FC.
- [USL] 2022 expansion side Queensboro FC one-ups New York FC by announcing plans for a soccer specific stadium in Queens.
- [USLC] John Hackworth the head coach/technical director for Louisville City FC has left the club. First Asst. Coach Danny Cruz will take over for 2021.
- [USAT] Christian Pulisic has become the first US International to score in a UEFA Championship semifinal match.
- [ESPN] The CEO / co-founder of the streaming service Spotify has secured funding to make an offer to buy for EPL’s Arsenal. Current owner Kroenke Sports (who also owns the Colorado Rapids) has so far indicated he intends to keep the team.
- [NBC]/[HITC] American Jesse Marsch, current head coach of Red Bull Salzburg in Austria; is rumored to be picked as the next coach of RB Leipzig in Germany’s Bundesliga after rejecting a bid by EPL’s Tottenham Hotspur.
Saturday, May 1
- MLS 11:00 am NYRB vs. CHI ESPN+
- MLS 12:00 pm RSL vs. SKC ESPN+ / KMYU
- MLS 01:00 pm MTL vs. CLB ESPN+
- MLS 01:30 pm HOU vs. LAFC Univision, TUDN, fubo TV
- NWSL 04:30 pm NCC vs. ORL CBS Sports Network, fubo TV, Hulu + Live TV
- MLS 05:00 pm NER vs. ATL ESPN+
- MLS 05:30 pm ORL vs. CIN ESPN+
- MLS 05:30 pm PHI vs. NYFC ESPN+
- MLS 06:00 pm FCD vs. POR ESPN+
- MLS 06:00 pm MIN vs. ATX ESPN+
- MLS 08:00 pm SJE vs. DCU ESPN+