New owner watch: 88 days since the league took over the sale.
US Soccer, MLS, NWSL, USL and NISA will all implement FIFA’s new concussion protocols which will allow 2 additional (total of 7 in all) conditional use substitutes per game starting in 2021. [MLS] The additional 2 players will only be allowed for confirmed or suspected concussions.
Concacaf Champions League starts tonight! Many of the games are scheduled to be televised on FS1 if you wish to support the MLS teams playing.
- Cameron Harper, former forward for Scottish side Celtic; said that there was a lack of togetherness on the team. [Scotsman]
- Last week Cristiano Ronaldo stormed off the pitch after a goal was wrongly called back. His captain’s armband (which he tore off and threw to the ground) sold at charity auction for $75k raising funds for a sick child. [CBS]
- Birmingham City’s women’s team have sent a letter to the team owners complaining about working conditions, medical care and fitness resources. [Sun] Some prominent WSL players have voiced their support. [Sun]
- The entire Valencia team walked off the field in protest during their game vs Cadiz in Spain’s La Liga after yet another incident of racial abuse between players. They resumed play after 20 minutes after the following statement. [CBS] Cadiz would win the game 2-1.
✊ ✊— Valencia CF (@valenciacf_en) April 4, 2021
The team have held a meeting and decided to continue the game, in order to fight for the honour of the club, but denounce racism of any kind.#CádizValencia
- US International Christian Pulisic has been injured for Chelsea FC again, this time with a pulled hamstring. [WAGNH]
- Austin FC open their new training facility just in time for the season to begin. [MLS]
- Tziarrra King interview “Nothin’ but a Zee thang.” [BRFC]
- PayPal has signed a 10 year agreement for the naming rights to the San Jose Earthquakes stadium which will be called PayPal Park. [MLS]
- Portland Timbers and Portland Thorns players and staff all get their first vaccine doses. [ORE]
- Sacramento in limbo for MLS expansion as discussions take place for new ownership, but could another team jump in line? [ESPN]
- Has the MLS expansion bubble finally burst? [Guardian]
- Landon Donovan starts his 2nd year as head coach of San Diego Loyal with some lessons learned from his first season. [FIFA]
- Concacaf Champions League teams will likely pay a heavy toll due to compressed schedules in 2021. [USSP]
- MLS veteran Jeff Larentowicz has announced his retirement after 16 years in the league. He played for 5 different teams, won 2 MLS cups, and had 437 regular season appearances, and is 5th in total minutes (RSL’s Rimando and Beckerman top the list). [MLS]
- [4/10/10] Real Salt Lake received their MLS Cup rings.
- [4/10/11] RSL beat New England Revolution 2-0 on the road to extend unbeaten streak to 17 games.
- [4/7/12] The first Rocky Mountain Cup match of the 2012 season had RSL beating Colorado Rapids 2-0. Tony Beltran assisted on both goals.
- [4/6/13] A lackluster attack by RSL in the 2013 opening Rocky Mountain Cup match gave the Rapids a 1-0 win.
- [4/8/14] RSL officially announced that 17 year old Justen Glad will join the team in the summer after he finishes his Junior year of High School.
- [4/7/15] RSL announced the new solar project with intent to be 73% solar powered by the end of 2015. To date it is still the largest array for a sports facility in North America.
- [4/6/16] RSL’s newly announced academy and training facility in Herriman Utah will be the best in MLS.
- [4/8/17] In Mike Petke’s RSL coaching debut, RSL defeated the Vancouver Whitecaps 3-0.
The RSL Show with Tony Meola & Brian Dunseth interviews Bobby Wood.