“This life is filled with hurt, when happiness doesn’t work. Trust me, and take my hand, when the lights go out, you’ll understand.”
Well last Friday really sucked didn’t it. RSL had the chance to move into first place (temporarily again), but scuffed it in the final 10 minutes. I think my fellow Soapbox writers have covered it far better than I could so I’ll leave it at that.
RSL / MONARCHS
- [Multiplex] A new record for Chris Wondolowski, and more observations from Friday night’s game.
- [USL-C] Real Monarchs come from behind to earn a 2-2 draw vs San Antonio FC in their opening game with both teams ending with 10 players.
MLS / NWSL
- [ESPN] A rumor is making the rounds that Columbus Crew are going to rebrand and drop the “Crew” moniker to simply be called Columbus SC. Announcement will apparently be made on Tuesday.
- [USSP] Has the coaching “Cult of Personality” arrived in MLS?
- [CBS] Newly re-branded NJ/NY Gotham took the Portland Thorns to a penalty shootout in the NWSL Challenge Cup final. The Thorns would claim a 6-5 victory.
- [SSD] According to some reports, Orlando City SC is in final process of being sold to the Wilf family, owners of NFL’s Minnesota Vikings.
- [FIFA] For the first time since 2008, the US men’s Futsal team has qualified for the World Cup.
- [USSOC] US will host the Women’s 2021 Summer Series in June featuring USA, Portugal, Jamaica and Nigeria.
- [USSOC] For the first time, two USMNT players will participate in the UEFA Champions League final as Manchester City face off against Chelsea FC on May 29th.
- [USAT] Chelsea has won the Women’s Super League championship for the fourth time.
- [Guardian] Manchester United kit sponsor for 2021-22 has pulled out of a £200m deal over fan boycott threats. The current deal with AOL expires at the end of June.
- [Goal] Arsenal owner Stan Kroenke is under increasing fan pressure to sell the team after European Super League fiasco.
- [Balls] Barcelona, Real Madrid and Juventus have issued a joint statement on their continuing support of the failed European Super League.
- [BFW] Bayern Munich has claimed it’s 9th consecutive Bundesliga title.
- MLS: 5:00 pm Toronto FC vs Columbus Crew - ESPN+
- MLS: 5:30 pm Inter Miami vs CF Montreal - ESPN+
- MLS: 5:30 pm Philadelphia Union vs New England Rev. - ESPN+
- MLS: 6:30 pm Houston Dynamo vs Sporting KC - ESPN+
- MLS: 7:00 pm Minnesota United vs Vancouver Whitecaps - ESPN+
- MLS: 8:30 pm SJ Earthquakes vs Seattle Sounders - ESPN+
- USL-C 8:30 pm Sacramento Republic FC v Las Vegas Lights - ESPN+