The Columbus Crew have finally said goodbye to their former stadium, the first soccer specific stadium constructed in USA in 1999 when MLS was still new. The final match in Historic Crew Stadium was held on June 19th, a win vs Chicago Fire with the apt scoreline of 2-0 (reminiscent of the USMNT “dos a cero” run in the stadium vs Mexico). The Crew will christen their new stadium on Saturday vs New England Revolution. Changes to the site of the old stadium are already underway with the new Crew Training Center opening.
- [RSL] Erik Holt happy to be competing for starting spot.
- [DTheory] / [SLT] Some observations from Real Salt Lake’s draw with Houston Dynamo.
- [RSL] Rio Tinto Stadium will return to full capacity for RSL games starting on July 3rd vs Los Angeles FC.
- [RSL] The U-15 Academy team advanced to the final game vs Philadelphia Union after beating San Jose Earthquakes 3-0 (video).
- [Soapbox] Another look back at RSL history; on July 3rd 2017 Marcelo Silva joined the team.
MLS / NWSL
- [SBI] San Jose Earthquakes have parted ways with General Manager Jesse Fioranelli.
- [KSTP] Minnesota United support Diego Chara, but deny any racist comments were made in the game vs Portland Timbers.
- [MLS] Austin FC striker Danny Hoesen out for season after hip injury.
- [OregonLive] A judge has given the NWSL a deadline for approving the contract with 15-year old Olivia Moultrie. The league announced it’s intent to appeal.
- [CBS] The USWNT will play their final Olympic send off game vs Mexico tonight (Thursday July 1st) at 5 PM MDT, it will be televised on FS1.
- [TheScore] A Mia Hamm rookie card has sold at auction for $34,400, a new record for a Women’s Sports Card.
- [Reutir] Why hasn’t Argentina won a World Cup since 1986?
- [Goal] / [Guardian] / [Reutir] Frank de Boer is out as Netherlands coach after shutout loss in Euros to Czech Republic in the Round of 16.
- [Goal] / [USAT] Joachim Löw has stepped down as head coach of Germany.
- [Guardian] / [NBC] Former Liverpool coach Rafael Benítez has been confirmed as the new manager for Everton - a very unpopular choice with fans.
- [Goal] / [Fansided] / [NBC] Euro 2020 power rankings of the final 8.
- [BBC] Crystal Palace look set to name Patrick Vieira as head coach.