Euro 2020 goes to a dramatic PK shootout, but Italy ruins England’s hopes. Perhaps the bigger story is the behavior of the England fans during the final stages of the tournament. Before the game England fans without tickets stormed into Wembly Stadium. Security was noticeably lacking, and the English FA downplayed it as being just “a few” fans, but according to accounts on social media many fans with tickets were displaced by the intruders.
After the semifinal match vs Denmark the FA was fined $30,000 after it was revealed that a fan had used a laser pointer on the Danish GK, as well as booing during their national anthem. There were also reports of Danish visitors being abused and attacked by England fans.
REAL SALT LAKE / UTAH
- [SocWire] The Utah Avalanche won the boys U13 national championship with a 3-0 victory over San Diego.
- [MLS] RSL goalkeeper David Ochoa trained with the Mexican National Team before Gold Cup to keep international options open. He is not yet cap-tied for the USMNT.
- [SLT] Damir Kreilach plays a great clutch game.
- [RSL] Real Monarchs fall to El Paso Locomotive 1-3 at home.
MLS / USL / NWSL
- [MLS] With Chris Armas out as the coach of Toronto FC, Jozy Altidore is once again back in training with the team.
- [SSD] Tampa Bay Rowdies have extended the lease on their stadium for one more year.
- [TheScore] Former England international, and Toronto FC coach Paul Mariner has died from brain cancer at the age of 68.
- [USSP] Seattle Sounders set a new MLS record of 13 games undefeated to start a season.
- [90Min] With the prospect of returning to Canada, CF Montreal traded Erik Hurtado to Columbus Crew after he refused the Covid-19 vaccination.
- [Equalizer] 15 year old Olivia Moultrie debuts for Portland Thorns as a sub in 2-0 win over Racing Louisville.
- [SocWire] USSF will hold an instructional Zoom presentation for referees on July 12th at 6 PM MDT (RSVP required).
- [MLS] USMNT wins their first Gold Cup match vs Haiti 1-0.
- [CBS] Argentina wins Copa America 2021 with a 1-0 victory over Brazil.
- [ESPN] Lionel Messi won his first international tournament with Argentina, but it was revealed afterwards that he played while injured.
- [FMF] Mexico tied 0-0 with Trinidad and Tobago in the opening match of the Gold Cup.
- [MLS] Canada wins their opening Gold Cup game 4-1 vs Martinique.
- [Reutir] Mexico fans notably upset at Gold Cup draw in a match they should have easily won.