[Concacaf]/[SocWire]/[MLS]/[SI] Gold Cup guests Qatar stormed through the group stage with two wins and one draw, then knocked out El Salvador in the quarterfinals, they are now looking forward to playing against one of the top teams in North America. If they beat USA it will set up the unusual situation of a non-Concacaf team in the final. USMNT vs Qatar will play tonight (Thurs) at 5:30 PM MDT, televised on FS1, Univision and TUDN.
REAL SALT LAKE / UTAH
- [MLS] Damir Kreiach is “in the running” for MVP, but not a top 5 contender yet.
- [BT] Former Utah Royals GK Nicole Barnhart has been waived by KC NWSL.
- [RSL] Douglas Martinez will be rejoining the team after Honduras finished last in it’s Olympic group.
MLS / USL / NWSL
- [NWSL] The league has teamed up with RISE, a non-profit organization that educates and empowers the sports community to eliminate racial discrimination, champion social justice and improve race relations.
- [UWS] Santa Clarita Heat has won it’s 2nd United Women’s Soccer championship.
- [SI]/[BT] KC Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes has become a part-owner of Sporting Kansas City.
- [USSP] High flying Seattle Sounders brought back down to Earth after a series of draws then two losses.
- [SBI] Los Angeles FC has traded Mark Anthony Kaye to Colorado Rapids for $1 million in allocation money.
- [Bronx] New New York FC stadium plan near Yankee Stadium stuck in limbo.
- [SI] The USWNT players have filed an appeal in their equal pay lawsuit.
- [Guardian] Australia display “tremendous adaptability” in 0-0 draw vs USWNT in Olympic group stage finale.
- [SI] Cincinnati has been named as host for the USMNT Gold Cup match vs Mexico.
- [SI] The USWNT will face Netherlands in the Olympic quarterfinal on Friday, a rematch of the World Cup final.
- [FIFA] In the Olympics, New Zealand men’s team has reached the quarterfinals for the first tine in any major tournament.
- [CBS] Argentina, France, and Germany all knocked out of Olympics during group stage.
- [USAT] Swiss national team head coach Vladimir Petkovic has resigned to take job with Bordeaux in the French Ligue 1.