clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Real Salt Lake gives up lead, drops 2-1 result in Colorado

RSL could have locked up the Rocky Mountain Cup with a win tonight, but they gave up a 1-0 lead to lose to the Rapids in the second half.

Real Salt Lake v the Colorado Rapids Photo by Timothy Nwachukwu/Getty Images

Real Salt Lake gave up a 1-0 lead to lose to rivals Colorado Rapids on the road tonight after some chippy play and a couple of key calls reversed due to video review. Albert Rusnak scored the visitors’ only goal while Diego Rubio and Mark-Anthony Kaye followed up with a goal each for the Rapids.

Bobby Wood didn’t see the 18 tonight as he was held out for an apparent injury, so Rubio Rubin got the start up top.

Rubio put one in the back of the net in the 34th minute off of a gorgeous long ball over the top from Albert Rusnak. That ball found Justen Glad who took the shot, but William Yarbrough was able to save it. He parried it back out and Rubin knocked in the deflection. Unfortunately, referee Drew Fischer decided to disallow the goal after a video review that showed Glad slightly in an offside position when Rusnak kicked the ball. The score stayed level at 0-0 despite some impressive attacking display from RSL.

RSL grabbed their first actual goal just after the halftime break thanks to a banger from Rusnak. Aaron Herrera sent a cross in from the far right side that found Rusnak near the top of the 18. He let a gorgeous shot rip and it sailed in past Yarbrough, giving the visitors the lead in the 51st minute.

It wasn’t too long after when the wheels started to fall off.

Diego Rubio got one back for Colorado in the 64th minute off a corner kick from Jack Price. The ball went to the middle and Rubio was able to rise up and head the ball far post, catching Andrew Putna off guard. Putna dove and got a touch to it but it wasn’t enough as it bounced into the back of the net, tying the score at 1-1.

The Rapids took the lead less than 10 minutes later when Mark-Anthony Kaye easily headed in a beautiful cross from the right side. He was able to quickly head it in, unmarked, past Putna and put his team up with less than 20 minutes left to play.

Damir Kreilach was pulled down in the box in the 80th minute, prompting the ref to immediately point to the spot for a penalty. After a video review, though, Fischer reversed the call due to Kreilach being in an offside position when the ball was kicked, so no penalty ended up being awarded.

RSL couldn’t find the equalizer and ended up losing the game 2-1, unable to secure the Rocky Mountain Cup. The series will be decided at Rio Tinto Stadium on October 16th when the two sides will meet for the third and final time in the regular season.