Concacaf has created a new Concacaf W Championship and Concacaf W Gold Cup (which will start in 2024) to replace the previous process of qualifying for the Women’s World Cup and Olympic tournaments. It is hoped that the changes will improve the quality of play for Caribbean and Central American teams by giving them more meaningful games to play on a regular schedule. To start the process, the draw for Concacaf Women’s World Cup qualifier group stage was completed last week. The qualification group winners will join USA and Canada who got byes to the 2nd round.
REAL SALT LAKE / UTAH
- [MLS] Recap: Colorado Rapids 2, RSL 1.
- [BW] Game recap from our sister blog Burgundy Wave, (if you want the opposing POV).
- [YT] Game highlights (or lowlights if you wish).
MLS / USL / NWSL
- [FRS] The Hudson River Derby between New York Red Bulls and New York FC had to be postponed Saturday night due to heavy rain caused by Henri.
- [SI] 15 year old Olivia Moultrie scored her first professional goal for Portland Thorns.
- [SBI] MLS Scoreboard and rundown of Saturday’s games.
- [USLC] The residents of Albuquerque will vote in November to approve a $50 million bond for New Mexico United’s new stadium.
- [90Min] David Beckham met with Lionel Messi about future Miami FC move.
- [FRS] Despite a poor showing at the Olympics, the USWNT still hold onto 1st place in the FIFA rankings.
- [SI][SBI] Christian Pulisic tested positive for Covid last Wednesday. This puts the timeline to join the USMNT for World Cup qualifiers in peril. Speculation has begun on who will step in if he can’t play.
- [FFT] 80 European players to watch this season.
- [USAT] Bayern Munich set a new European scoring record on Saturday, they are now the only European team (in the top 5 leagues) to score a goal in 74 consecutive games.
- [FFT] After much off-season speculation post-Euros, Harry Kane made his first appearance of the 2021-22 season for Tottenham Hotspur.
- [SI][WaPo] FIFApro is trying to evacuate Afghanistan soccer players to avoid Taliban persecution. Players remaining are urged to burn their uniforms and ‘disappear’.