The English Premier League announced that teams will not be releasing National Team players from England’s 60 “red-list” countries due to players having to face a 10-day quarantine upon return. Most of the counties impacted are from South Africa, South America, Central America, the Caribbean, and Asia. According to reports, nearly 60 players from 19 EPL teams have received call-ups to various countries on the list. Spain’s La Liga has also expressed support for any teams refusing to release players.
FIFA president Gianni Infantino released a statement urging teams to show solidarity for the ‘Global Game’ and release the players.
REAL SALT LAKE / UTAH
- [RSL][MLS] Douglas Martinez loaned to San Diego Loyal in USL-C for remainder of 2021 season.
- [RSL] Justin Meram gets call-up to Iraq National Team’s World Cup qualifiers.
- [RSL] Damir Kreilach and the All-Star experience.
MLS / USL / NWSL
- [FRS] Starting yesterday (Wed.) the Portland Timbers and Portland Thorns will require masks and proof of Covid vaccination to attend games in compliance with state mandates.
- [Whitecaps] Vancouver Whitecaps to require masks at all home games effective immediately.
- [Goal] After several high-profile cases, is the NWSL doing enough to protect players from abuse?
- [MLS] LigaMX all-stars edge out MLS all-stars in the 2021 skills challenge.
- [NWSL][CBS] NWSL expansion team Angel City FC announce Freya Coombe as head coach, and Christen Press as first player signed after deal with Racing Louisville for her rights.
- [NWSL] Racing Louisville given sweet deal for the rights to Christen Press.
- [USL] A stadium plan for Des Moines gets financial boost with $7 million contribution from county government.
- [SocWire] Sporting Kansas City announce Benny Feilhaber as new U-17 academy coach.
- [USAT] What’s next for Carli Lloyd after her retirement?
- [90Min] With the Sacramento MLS expansion bid withdrawn an investor group in Las Vegas is poised to jump in. The name Las Vegas Villains has been trademarked.
- [Multiplex] Colorado Rapids’ Robin Fraser is a logical shoo-in for MLS Coach of the Year.
- [Concacaf] US Beach Soccer team was eliminated in the group stage of the World Cup after no wins.
- [FIFA][TheScore] The US Dept. of Justice will give FIFA $201 million in funds confiscated from corrupt officials. US investigation into FIFA still continues.
- [USSOC] 92 amateur teams have signed on to participate in the 2022 US Open Cup. The first round kicks off on Sept. 18-19.
- [CBS] The draw for the 2021-22 UEFA Champions League will happen today (Thurs.) at 10 AM. It will be televised on CBS Sports Network, and streamed on various sources.
- [Goal] Manchester City coach Pep Guardiola hints at exit when his contract expires in 2023.
- [Balls][FTW][WaPo] A Ligue 1 match between OGC Nice and Marseille was suspended after fans rush the pitch.
- [FFT][Goal][NBC][SI] English star Harry Kane is staying at Tottenham Hotspur - at least through the summer.
- [WaPo][SI] 75 women soccer players were evacuated from Afghanistan to Australia on Tuesday fleeing Taliban retribution.
- [ESPN] FIFA has reduced Mexico’s 2-match ban without fans to 1 game after seeing the federation’s efforts to stop the homophobic chant. Threat of future punishment remains.