The USMNT play El Salvador tonight in the first game of World Cup qualifying, here’s what we know so far. Tim Weah has pulled out of the squad due to injury, it’s not known if coach Berhalter will call in a replacement. Both Zach Steffen and Christian Pulisic will not play in tonight’s match; Steffan has been having back spasms, and while Pulisic was finally cleared of Covid, he hasn’t reached game fitness after quarantine. The big question now is who will start for the USMNT?
The game kicks off at 8 PM Thursday, and will be shown on CBS Sports, Paramount+ and Spanish broadcast on Universo.
REAL SALT LAKE / UTAH
- [RSL] Justin Meram is glad to get opportunity to play for Iraq National Team again.
- [MLS] It’s now official. Freddy Juarez has been named an asst. coach for Seattle Sounders.
MLS / USL / NWSL
- [MLS] One observation for every team after week 22.
- [SSD] It’s now a 3-horse race for MLS expansion in Las Vegas.
- [USL] AstroTurf and USL have announced a multi-year partnership.
- [SI] Say goodbye to the hexagonal, and hello to the octagonal in Concacaf World Cup qualifying.
- [MLS] No excuses. USMNT can, should and must qualify for the World Cup.
- [SSFC] How should the USMNT rotate it’s squad for the qualifiers?
- [SocWire] The 16-man US roster has been named for the upcoming Futsal World Cup.
- [SI] Cindy Parlow Cone will run for re-election as US Soccer president. She assumed the role after Carlos Cordeiro resigned in March of 2020.
- [USSP] What is causing the rise of own goals in world soccer.
- [Guardian] After 140 caps, Scotland’s Kim Little has announced her retirement from international soccer.
- [FIFA][TheScore][ESPN] Cristiano Ronaldo broke the record for Men’s International Goals on Wed. scoring his 110th.
- [Guardian] The entire Iceland FA board has resigned after it was revealed they covered up a sexual abuse allegation.