It’s rare enough that FIFA publishes results of a poll, but releasing one that conflicts with many public comments from players, fans, and confederations to show fan support for a bi-annual World Cup makes the results seem suspect. The poll, held via the YouGov site had over 15,000 people over the age of 18 respond from 23 countries. A follow-up survey will poll over 100,000 people in at least 100 nations.
REAL SALT LAKE / UTAH
- [90Min] Pablo Mastroeni praises players after win vs Seattle.
- [MLS][LWOS][SAH] Recap: RSL 1, Seattle Sounders 0.
- [YT] Highlights RSL vs SEA.
- [RSL] Late goal vs New Mexico United hands Real Monarchs another road loss.
MLS / USL / NWSL
- [WTR] Toronto FC is on pace to have the worst record of it’s history.
- [SBI] Club America knocks Philadelphia Union out of Champions League.
- [SSD] CF Montreal closes the supporter section in Stade Saputo stadium after repeated incidents of violence.
- [USSP] Colorado Rapids and Nashville SC are this year’s dark horses gunning for MLS Cup.
- [USL] Championship expansion team Monterey Bay FC breaks ground on their new stadium.
- [NWSL] A total of 42 NWSL players have been called up for international duty in the upcoming break.
- [MLS][FRS] FC Dallas has fired their coach Luchi Gonzalez amid rough year. Saturday’s 3-2 loss to rival Houston Dynamo was the last straw.
- [CBS] USWNT blow out Paraguay 9-0 in friendly. Carli Lloyd scores 5 goals and moves into 3rd on Women’s all time list.
- [SSF] The first round of World Cup qualifying gives the USMNT a reality check.
- [CBS] [SportBible] USWNT players remain optimistic about US Soccer’s equal pay proposal.
- [SI] Panama remains on England’s “red list” of countries which will prevent some USMNT players from the 2nd round of World Cup qualifying.
- [SBI] USMNT slip out of top 10 in the latest FIFA rankings after problematic World Cup qualifying.
- [USSOC] USWNT play their 2nd friendly game vs Paraguay on Tuesday. It will be televised on FS1 and in Spanish on TUDN.
- [SI] Soccer legend Pelé underwent surgery to remove a tumor from his colon last week. Daughter says he’s recovering well.
- [SI] Concacaf is combining U-20 World Cup and Olympic qualifying into one tournament for 2024.
- [CBS][SI] Rival supporter’s groups halftime brawl on pitch in France delays game 30 minutes.
- [Fansided] Has the time arrived to add a stop-clock to Soccer to combat time-wasting, and what other methods are being considered.
- [SI][FFT][Guardian] English soccer legend Jimmy Greaves has died at the age of 81. He held the European goal scoring record for 46 years.