Starting in 2023, big changes are coming to the Leagues Cup and Concacaf Champions League! MLS will take a one-month break during the summer for the new expanded Leagues Cup tournament which will now feature every team from both MLS and LigaMX. The top three finishers will qualify for the new expanded Champions League which will now grow to 27 teams. Certainly both leagues and Concacaf will need the next year+ just to work out the logistics, but it will be interesting to see how things shape up!
REAL SALT LAKE / UTAH
- [SBI] Aaron Herrera places 7th in USMNT depth chart.
- [RSL] All of RSL’s academy teams were undefeated last weekend.
MLS / USL / NWSL
- [SSD] Updated MLS expansion odds. Which cities have the inside track for the next expansion team?
- [USL][SSD] USL has announced the creation of a new Division II Women’s Super League and Women’s tier structure.
- [SSD] Kansas City NWSL will play their 2022 season games at Children’s Mercy Park, home of Sporting Kansas City.
- [FRS] Carli Lloyd is a USWNT legend.
- [TheScore][SocWire] USWNT routs Paraguay in 2nd friendly match 8-0. Alex Morgan scored the 5th international hat-trick of her career.
- [CBS] Surinam’s Vice President, has become the oldest person to play in a sanctioned international club game at age 60.
- [SI] FIFA sets timetable for talks with federations and clubs regarding the bi-annual World Cup proposal.
- [NBC] Liverpool FC will go ahead with plans to expand Anfield stadium to make it one of the largest in the EPL. The plans will increase capacity to over 61,000.
- [SI] FIFA has issued a one match fan-ban to Hungary for racial abuse of a players.
- [TheScore][SI][Guardian] UEFA claims that FIFA has rejected it’s requests to open discussions on the bi-annual World Cup. They say there are 4 significant dangers to the plan.